Friday, December 7, 2012

Name Origins

Just a quick blog on where my pups' names have come from.

Beckett came with his name. It's a good one, why change it! Besides, it's also the name of a famous author who I just so happened to be studying in my undergrad just before we adopted him. A very distinguished name for quite a distinguished dog :)

Once we decided to adopt Lemon back when she was still 'Aster' Jerrad and I drove out to Sooke sayings the most random things that jumped into our heads. I think we got talking about car terms when Jerrad was naming this car and that car. I said "Lemons" and then Jerrad said "Lemon" and then we looked at each other and went "That'll work." She's just a Lemon.

Although I had some names on the backburner for Jinks, after a few days I found her name. Originally I found Jinx, like a spell or hex but in thinking it over a little I remembered the word High Jinks, which means: boisterous or rambunctious carryings-on : carefree antics or horseplay :
Playful, often noisy and rowdy activity, usually involving mischievous pranks.
 
Seems a fitting name for a baby border collie!
 
So Jinks' full name is "High Jinks or Hijinks", but shortened to Jinks for every day use. Just like Lemon's full name is "Lemon Zinger" (after the tea, but also because she used to zoom or 'zing' all over the place). Beckett doesn't really have a full name but his 'pet' name is Beckett Shmeckett sometimes just shortened to "Shmeck". Jinks has been getting a pet name of Jinksie Doo or Jinksie Pie or Jinksie Sphinx. Lemon will always be "Zing Butt", the odd time I'll call her Shmemin (to go with Shmeckett).
 
I'd love to hear how some dogs you guys have known got their names. Good names are hard to come by. I love finding dogs with names that just suit them. There are just too many Maggies, Buddys, Chloes, Baileys and Sadies out there. They tend to be names for your average golden or lab in which case maybe they do suit as there are just so many of them and they all tend to look alike.
 
Some of my favourite names that have been through my foster doors:
Toast (she did look like a piece of Toast!)
Alvin (the 5 pound chihuahua lived up to his chipmunk name origins. And just as annoying too :P)
Dickory (although I didn't like it initially, it is so great to call from a distance and fun to say too.)
 
I had a friend growing up whose family dog was "Squish", a pekingnese dog with a squished face who always managed to get underfoot. Aptly named indeed. We have a beagle at daycare named Watson and a weiner dog named Python both that they seem to fit their names perfectly too.
 
To me, it isn't about the name itself, but the combination of dog, traits and the name. Any good tips for names? Would love to hear them.
 
 

4 comments:

Julia S said...

My Boyfriend and I adopted a dog from the Spca and her name there was Ricky, but we thought that it was a little too manly.
We spent TONS of time looking up this name and that, and throwing out suggestions, nothing stuck. But in the meantime we still called her Ricky. In the end, we realized there was no point in changing it as we were used to it by this point, and so was she. So we kept it - but not without changing it to suit her better...
And thus RIKKI was born ;) It just clicked! It was a much more sweet and spicy name to suit our staffy x rottie x greyhound!
:)
Also, my boyfriends family dog was a Golden Retriever named Gold Digger, or Digger for short. Which I always thought was adorable and clever ;)

Personally, I think what makes a name is the feeling behind it. When you know you know - It'll just click! And if "Lucky" clicks for someone, then that is fine (Though personally I have never known a Lucky who was in fact lucky - I consider it kind of like naming a boat Titanic), but I do think people should take some time to think of a name that they consider best suited for the dog, but also them too. My number 1 tip for naming dogs though is that you have a fairly easy nickname, or at least that it rolls off the tongue! Because it can really be tough trying to call out "Come, Openhiemer!" vs "Come, Lance" etc So if you aren't prepared to say a mouthful for each command, you may want to think about shortening the name (if it doesnt have an easy shortened version) :P

Fewf, well that's my 2.5 billion cents :P
Love your blog and all the critters :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily' this is how we got our dog and how we named her' She was born at a breeding farm called white lake Golden retreivers.in New Jersey USA they sent her & 24 of her sibblings to vancouver for a snowbuddie movie.5 died & she was fogotten at van emergency H. i found out on Craig's list about the goldens applied and they said she is yours pick her up at VEH. Ray just had major surgery 7 days before & it was raining a huge storm we went to get her. Saved her.she was sick a yr .we decided on Reese because she was blonde ,beautiful&from USA & justlike Reese Witherspoon so we thought Reese spoonfull of love just like the Reese's chocolate too,melting our hearts we did try a few names & she answers to Reese,Beans,girlster,&being french we have a few favs in french . we wanted a dog not a breed.made no diff to what kind she just happen to come along. All the puppies for the movie had no shots and were not more than 6 weeks old.After they gave Reese to us they called and said they wanted her back .It was because the story had been in the papers . It ended well for Reese but not 5 other pups. For me i wanted a name i had never heard a dog have before'lov your blog& it will be inteesting to hear of others and how some got their names ' cheersPollyb

Marie said...

Hi, Emily, I adopted my dog from Turtle Gardens Rescue and she already had a name, it fit her so well, that I kept it.
She has certainly brought bright light into my life and her name is Sparkle. It's not a name that I have heard before in relationship to a dog but it certianly fits Sparkle.
Marie

Ashley Woodske said...

Madison (Maddie) was named after my wedding dress oddly enough. When I bought it, they told me it was called "Madison Marie" and I thought 'what a cute name'.

When we adopted her we loved the name Megan, but Justin's sister is named Megan so we knew we would have to change it and I wanted something close-ish if possible.

It also ended up being the only name we could both agree on, so it just kind of stuck :)