Monday, December 24, 2012

New Foster Upon Return

 
The holidays are a happy time of year. Families get together, we eat lots, we have time off -it's a good time by all. But it's an absolutely horrid time for shelter dogs in California where they experience an all-time high as people drop off their pets before holidays. And this is before the onslaught of puppies hitting the shelter because they were bought as unwanted Christmas gifts.
 
Surrenders are high, adoptions are low. It envitable -many of these pups aren't going to see new years. My friend June bombarded her page with at least 20 dogs that all fit my "bill" so to speak. It hurts to look at all of them knowing many of them won't be having a Merry Christmas.
 
I always go back to Yvette's motto though.
"I am only one,
But still I am one.
I cannot do everything,
But still I can do something;
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."
-Edward Everrett Hale
 
Because I don't like to mix new Californian fosters with TG dogs or the Taiwanese guys (they undergo lots of quarantine) or even my new pup for minimum 3 weeks -contagion times-, my friend June is going to send me this girl who came to Victoria over a week ago and has shown no signs of anything. She is timid but not "fearful" in the sense of potential to be a fear biter. She needs confidence building (as do most of them after enduring what they've gone through) so it should be a good fit for everybody. Seems confidence building is our little niche.
 
We welcome Chelsea in the new year. This way, we can foster her but still allow for a Taiwanese and/or a TG dog to come in by the 10th as well as giving Chelsea's space away to someone who desperately needs it.
 
 
Little Chelsea
This is the little girl that's slated to take Chelsea's spot, but we shall see. You can never tell until she's actually "out of the building". Sometimes they are put down beforehand. If they are really lucky, someone else has saved them before. If not her, someone will definitely get her spot.
 

Merry Christmas everyone. I hope in the new year you consider to foster a dog and help be part of saving a life. Whether it be from local rescue, or going small and fostering for a group that rescues out of California or elsewhere, fostering is an excellent way to do a small part to make a bright future. There are bumps in the road, and I assure you that you will fall in love with some (they will be adopted quickly), and there will be some you want to kick out the door (who usually stay much longer), but every little bit helps. Even if you work 8 hour days, consider fostering an older dog who will probably be happy curling up on your couch for most of the day.

Even if you fostered just one dog in 2013, we can all do it together.

Merry Christmas,
Emily, Jerrad, Beckett, Lemon & Jinksie Doo

No comments: