Thursday, September 26, 2013

Lemon Update!

My little critter has been settled in for the last two weeks and has apparently been having one heck of a good time! She goes to the adults' day program 2 days a week with Granny and they have a hard time getting her to leave. She has over 20 laps to herself! Of course she wouldn't want to leave... she probably thought she'd died and gone to heaven.

They really enjoy having her there, she is acting as a therapy dog for not just only Granny, but for many of these seniors who can no longer have a pet themselves. Admittedly I am missing her lots, but to know just how much she is giving back to the community, how happy she is to do it, and how happy people are to receive it makes my heart glad.

She gets out for a little walk every day and I guess already Granny can take her around the cul-de-sac by herself. Lemon will stick to her side like glue, -as suspected- and apparently instinctively knows the boundary around the house set up. She will not leave the cul-de-sac! So Granny when the weather is good takes her out once a day to do a loop, talk to some neighbours, and get a little exercise. I guess Lemon will always lead Granny back home.

In the evening she zooms around the house like a loony toon for a few minutes, and around the property too.

I have no pictures yet, but am bugging for some. Aunty really likes her too, as Lemon is very well-trained, a great recall, a natural heel (that was more her than me there!), LOVES people and will go to bed on command. I have to admit, they got a pretty damn good dog. I don't think they quite realized the level of training she's had until she started living with them. I put a lot of work into that little dog! She makes every other dog in the family look stupid, even my cousin's border collie and german shepherd. Too funny.

I look forward to having her back sometime in the future but for now I am really glad she is able to bring so much joy into the lives of others. In a way I feel she is fulfilling a bit of destiny. I'm not a huge believer, but I do believe that things have a way of happening for a reason.

Just like when Beckett came to us, with him a string of 70+ foster dogs that no one would have guessed when we first adopted him. Perhaps Lemon never had any interest because something out there knew she would be needed, she just needed to stay put a bit in order to get there. And Jinks... well I'm sure I just got Jinks cause no one would put up with her (and she's exactly like me in dog form), she's my project dog to learn and grow and pull my hair out over, and then snuggle with on the sofa at night because no matter how much of a pain she is, she is MY pain.)

I'm looking forward to finding out why Shane has come. Of course I have an idea, but it's really interesting to see how time shifts perspectives.

Enjoy the therapy work Lemon!

More soon,
Emily

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How wonderful for Lemon and how satisfying for you! This reminds me of the book "A Dog's Purpose" by W. Bruce Cameron.

Anonymous said...

That's great to hear she's settling in so well. Seems like destiny.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! What a great little dog she is with a special job. Every seniors home should have loved pets around.
(ludicrous most don't)
I can imagine how much you miss her with the bond you have. Sounds like a worthwhile gift, and sacrifice in this case.
Wendy