Friday, November 1, 2013

Safety First

Well yesterday was a minefield of fun... not.

I picked up our new foster puppy about 3pm or so. Was good being handled at the time of loading up, but when I got him home it took me and Jerrad almost three hours to get him out of the car. Somewhere along the line he turned into a feral, lunging, biting creature. He was fast, frantic, terrified. Eventually with a whole lot of cheese brought him in and kept him separate by baby gate from the other dogs. He spent another hour barking/lunging and screaming at the other dogs who weren't even at the gate 95% of the time. Tried to keep him quiet in another room and he would scream bloody murder without anyone. Introduced very slowly to Beckett in the same room. Would bark and lunge if Beckett even made a step towards him. Beckett's a good dog though, just stays away. Beckett would be the one to help him.

The safety issue came full front and center though when we tried to introduce Shane. If we hadn't of been fast the speed and intensity of this pup's snap would have put some real damage into my puppy. I had to make the decision right there. No matter how terrified this pup was, no matter how good he might be in a few days once he'd had some rest, he was not safe to be around Shane, and it is my obligation to keep my own dogs safe. I was not convinced at all that should I try to intervene I wouldn't be putting my own body at risk.  Obviously new foster wasn't feeling safe either.

So anyway, put Shane away for the evening as even though he doesn't deserve it he's quiet away. Long-line new foster in the living room so if something happens I can take the line -at this point knowing I'd be bit if having to physically move this dog. Beckett and Schwartz (standard poodle, boarding dog) are two of the best at reading body language and despite this snapping, growling dog now in the living room both dogs were snuggled up on the same couch going "weirdo." I stayed planted on the couch, quiet and watching/observing. You'd think after almost another hour with no one moving that he would move into a smelling/observing mindset but no. Circle, growl, circle, growl. Look at him directly even for a second and he'd start growling at me too.

It is not uncommon at all for fosters to have a few days of a hard integration period. I've fostered quite a few shy guys and I'm used to spending a night or two with suspicious foster dogs who take a couple of hours to feel safe with my pack, but I have never dealt with a dog so young willing to deal so much damage.

So I did what I had to. I phoned rescue and let them know I could not foster this dog. In over eighty some odd dogs that have passed though this house only twice before have I given up (for safety reasons) on a foster dog. The other two were two dogs from failed adoptions -Sail and Diesel-. Diesel would have been fine to stay if not for Hank -another foster- who were both out to get each other. Sail was WAY too much dog, overwhelming for everyone at the house.

I gave the pup the weekend. I had to tell myself even if he got better he was not safe for my puppy, he was not safe for daycare. Just because I personally could work with a dog like that doesn't mean I should be. What I SHOULD be doing is protecting my own, especially my baby.

Luckily, his transporters that has adopted his brother were willing to foster him and came to get him at about midnight -once he finally stopped all the rah rah rah but still stared daggers from the corner with teeth curled-.

Being fostered with his brother isn't ideal for him -ideally he would be with someone experienced, with perhaps one older dog-, but it is better for him (and Shane) than him staying.

Now being fair I don't truly think this is a bad dog -he is 5 months-, but it seems like he's going to be a project. He has been through a lot of stress the last few days. He most likely has a fairly low threshold for stress in general and most likely not as much socialization as he really needs. It's highly possible he has weak bite inhibition which is perhaps the most worrisome. What he needs is about a week of quiet, rest, lots of crate or x-pen time (although he hates confinement) and slow, steady exposure. He needs to come off that stress and slowly built up to be able to handle stress.

A big shout-out to Stan who helped talk me through the process and listened to me vent. I have so much respect for the hard-to-handle dogs you guys work and live with. I know with a few weeks/few months of exposure that this pup will be okay.

I will try to live by the words Stan gave me: Don't let one bad apple ruin the barrel.

Still, it might be a bit before I feel brave enough to foster again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this a TG dog? They usually come very well mannered don't they? No guilt for looking out for your own.

Piper said...

I'm sorry that you had that experience :( What you do for all those rescues is so appreciated and it's ok to draw a line when things can't be managed safely. Chin up, your next foster will be awesome I'm sure :)

Emily said...

Not a TG pup. I think fault lies in never taking this pup away from his siblings. He has encountered lots of situations and well previously, but never on his own. He does not know how to function as an individual.

He has a low tolerance for stress, and the stress of travel combined with the stress of new environment/dogs, and now being the only dog of his litter was too much. This dog will be fine, with time, patience, lots of rest and building up his stress thresholds and confidence in his own dog.

TG pups come very well socialized to other dogs though at times can be reactive on leash as that's not something they've been exposed to doing most of the time. Even the pups from there for a few days can be shy with people -some have stayed shy to people as they grow up-. It isn't necessarily about the rescues themselves, though TG has never sent me someone I can't handle, but neither has this rescue up until this dog.

----Thanks Piper. I will get back on the fostering horse, but maybe after a bit of time off the saddle.

Emily said...

And to be fair, it isn't TG or any rescue that makes them "shy" or "fearful" or "aggressive" or have low thresholds for stress.

A lot of the time lack of early socialization and temperament of the mother being passed to her babies does 95% of the work. We are environment, and we play a huge role of course, but you can't undo genetics, only work with them.

Been there, doing that currently with Jinks. She's come a LONG ways, but she is a far cry still from a typical family pet.