Thursday, January 2, 2014

Sunday Update

Sunday meaning the dog and not the date, although I do think she went home on a Sunday. This update came on a Tuesday.

Sunday, at airport before she came to foster with me.
 
Sunday with her new family on their boat!

Sunday's family writes:

Sunday is fantastic! We couldn't have wished for a better puppy!!!

Thank you so much for all the work that you and your organization do for dogs like
Sunday.

She has settled into our family seamlessly. She is so clever, completing two
training courses as the instructor's favorite :)

She is amazingly well socialized and loves our daily plays with the neighborhood
dogs at the park.

Her favorite thing, I think, is diving into the lake to fetch a stick. And boy can
she swim!

Thank you again, more than we can express, for this amazing dog! She is a treasure
to our family.

Best wishes for the New Year


----Makes me so happy. All a foster mum wants for her fur-kids is them to be loved and cherished, to be the best that they can be.

Champ went to get neutered today and I missed the little dickens a lot more than I thought I would. He has a really infectious nature, providing you have a good sense of humour and some expectations from him (or else he can be plain annoying). He tried to jump and play tug with every piece of laundry I was trying to fold last night.

Sometimes I get that feeling I think lots of first time foster parents get. That sense of love for a dog and that they make you smile and that you can see yourself with them until they're old. But, take a step back and realize even though I love them, I could never give them all that I would want to. I've got two young sporting dogs as it is. Having another young dog wouldn't be fair to them, me or the current full-time young black and white creatures.

So, I will look forward to him going home and the wonderful update I will get from his family sometime in the future and know, it was better for me to stay strong and let him go, I helped create a family. That is a very special thing and it is my favorite part of rescue, even though sometimes it is hard to say goodbye.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily, Keep up the good work with all the dogs you foster, they are so lucky!...I don't know whether you received my comment on the Update of Beckett Dec 18?and was wondering if you have any more updates since...we are hoping to go over on the 11th if he is feeling well enough for a visit at the get together...I'm wondering how old he is now and do you think he may be about Mya's age?..Reading and seeing photos of your Beckett updates has him indelibly etched into my heart...I have become a fan of these lovely 'sled dogs'...
Hang in there, Jude

Emily said...

Beckett is approximately 10-11 years of age, so most likely a few years younger than Mya. He hasn't been getting worse over the holidays, but hasn't been getting better either. It's been more that we can always have someone with him 24/7 and he's getting more used to his nighttime routine.

Unfortunately there isn't a lot of joy in him anymore. He mostly lives in three states: sleeping, lost & walking. He should be good for the foster get together as it's in a familiar location and he's at his best with many other dogs around.

Unless something drastic changes in the next few weeks, we'll have to make a decision. The collies seem to sense it's time/close to time. There are moments they each lay on either side of him and just look at me.

For now, just taking one day at a time and monitoring quality of life.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Emily,we would like to 'sign up?' for the get together...but please keep us posted as it is still a week away...and provided it doesn't snow...we would love to meet with you and definitely Beckett if it would suit him...the setting sounds good for Mya too as she is deaf and gets a little panicky if she can't keep us in her sight.....Jude