Saturday, July 16, 2011

Oh Fosterly Whining

Ahh, the TG bus run. A mountain of planning (I do as little as possible when directions, distance and timing are involved, so I hate to see what the brown-nosers do :P ), a dozen to twenty dogs, and a few new faces landing in the house. The process of choosing who should come, who shouldn't come, who will be easy, hard, shy, annoyingly teenaged, etc and what kind of mood I see myself in for the next month or so. (Usually its not up to the teenagers or the outright puppies. Actually, scratch that, I am not up for brats. PERIOD.) No busy bee, high-strung, high-energy, no brain-cell goofusses out this way -as much as Yvette would LOVE to see a few of them gone :P.

But regardless I've come to the point where: "Yvette knows best."

Of course we have back and forth e-mail of who I think I want, and who she thinks I'd do well with by not get too stressed by, and then I always seem to ask about somebody I shouldn't have, (I think I actually asked about one of the old, permenant resident dogs at one point :S) and really, it mostly comes down to 3 days before the bus run I suddenly have a foster or two that I didn't really expect to have, but am more than happy with. Actually, the only TG foster that was 'planned' was Tucker -and they actually tried to sneak me Kenobi last minute! Haha, no puppies for me! This is a 'young, good-natured medium-energy dog' or 'nice relaxed, medium-energy over the teenage hump dog' kind of place.

Honey was kind of just shipped down with not even two days notice. She was awesome though so no complaints.

Toast had a previous adoption that fell through and was only known about a few days before. Xena was sent because she was being picked on -I don't actually remember who we had lined up instead of her!

So, needless to say, tomorrow -when I go get my fosters- I will post exactly who they are :P and I will refrain from posting my fosters until they actually ARRIVE from now on.

But for now, I just wanted a small whine about how I really, really dislike the first 2-3 days of new foster dogs. They're restless, I'm restless, everyone is trying to figure out where they fit, I'm trying to figure out how much exercise they need, what I need/want to work on with them, and how to best go about those needs. Its like making a plan on the fly, and when it comes to dogs, I'm a little bit of a control freak. I'm one of those "PLAN" people. It's a good thing Jerrad doesn't mind not being 'in control' (I guess if he stays with me, he's used to it :P), cause I can be a real big pain in the butt until those 2-3 (sometimes the longest days in the world I'm sure) are over.

But, after those 2-3 days suddenly everyone starts being normal and relaxed, I shake out the stress and we carry on with life in the "Fostering is Fun" lane. Of course there are the dogs that come in and feel like they've been there all along, but most of them its 2-3 days. Out of the dogs so far in Victoria, only little May was an instant fit.

So, here's to my new fosters, my lovely husband in training for putting up with me in my "I've lost control" mode, and most of all, to trying to enjoy the few CRABBY days that lead to the true -good- experience of fostering.

Oh, and just for chuckles, I got a good pic of Dorie before she headed back to Sarah's:

Dorie makes a sad face after the wii fit program says: "That's Overweight".

No comments: