Thursday, July 14, 2011

Straw that Breaks the Camel's Back

On Tuesday I started an adoption trial with Toscana. Today, I decided she isn't to stay.

There are SO many checkboxes that need to be checked off to be able to stay full-time here, but Toscana breezed through nearly all of them.

1. No shyness/fearfulness with people (since I take a lot of shy fosters, I need a full-timer to be outgoing with humans. They need to be good 'role models' for how to live in our modern world. Toscana passed the moment we entered the house to meet her. Wagging tail, very social, laid down beside us within a minute or two. CHECK.

2. Needs to be able to get along with all good-natured dogs. Toscana is fearful around bigger dogs, but with Beckett at her side, she's made a lot of progress, and she did great at daycare, even with some bigger dogs mixed in the bunch. She's defensive, but not aggressive, and once she doesn't feel in danger, she's outgoing with other dogs. CHECK.

3. Got to be cuddly.
4. Has to have the potential to go off-leash. IE: no prey drive. Check, and check.
5. Has to win Jerrad over the 'I just want to foster' attitude. Check.

I'm sure there are a few things I've missed, but Toscana -through no fault of her own- couldn't hit one HUGE checkbox.

Beckett and Toscana have to play. They don't need to be soulmates, they don't need to be madly in love and play every second of the day. But they do have to be friends. And Beckett, for one reason or another, has decided he'd rather just ignore miss Toscana. She's tried oodles of times to befriend him, she cuddles up beside him, she gives him submisive kisses. But, most regrettably, there is no dog chemistry from Beckett. He runs away from her or ignores her.

Beckett -not very happy- with his possible little sister:


This is one thing I didn't actually factor in right away. Beckett gets along with everyone -he gets along with her too-, and he plays with nearly everyone too. In all my 'checkboxes' I never thought the straw that broke the camel's back would involve Beckett.

But, he's the first, he's getting older, and he's getting blinder, and I won't get a second dog that he doesn't enjoy having around. He puts up with anything -Dorie's bitchiest to him included :P-, but he's not happy. He's not the way he was when Tucker was here, or when Tine was here, or even with Honey and Toast were here. Beckett needs a 'buddy', and whether I like to admit it or not since Toscana has hit every other checkbox with flying colors, that means she can't stay long term.

To my dearest Toscana: it was a short time, and it was a good time. You will make someone VERY, VERY happy, and I look forward to seeing you blossom.

To the whippet-mix from Mexico that stole my heart. I will miss you.





No comments: