Sunday, January 27, 2013

Pennyless

My darling girl has left for her new family. Her departure fell into the category of "don't you want me? What did I do wrong?" Sweet girl broke my heart and although every part of me just wanted to load her up and take her home with me and tell her I would never let her go, I did what foster mums need to do: suck it up, keep your head high and know she will find happiness. Forever happiness. Her new family is so nice and they will spoil her rotten.

Still, Penny didn't know what I knew. To her I was betraying her, another heartbreak after losing her family. I didn't break down and cry -I haven't cried for a single foster yet- but I was definitely close. The logical part of my brain needs to do what is best for the dog, and crying at her departure would have made the departure even more difficult for us both. I should get an update in a couple of days. For now, I'm still in a small mourning of my own. This morning I woke up and took the dogs out into the field and found myself calling Penny twice and finding it weird that she didn't spin on a dime back to me. Of course, I was Pennyless. Some fosters leave bigger pawprints in your heart than others. Penny took a good chunk of my heart with me. The only other dog to rival her was Trunk a long time ago now.

I half joked with my sister that I should have given the new family Lemon instead! Of course I wouldn't do that, but somehow I don't think it would have been as hard to part with Lemon. Mean of me!

New fosters coming on Wednesday should keep my focus, and I have to admit it was nice today to be able to focus a lot of some Jinks training (not that Penny ever interfered in that). Coming with Vibo is now another golden retriever, this one a 3 year old mostly likely purebred one. She is on the smaller side for a golden at 47 pounds and is good with cats as well as dogs. Her foster home in Taiwan says her only issue is that sometimes she doesn't like to share her toys with other dogs. Boy, have I got her number. That's Jinks' issue too! (Beckett sorted that out a few weeks ago, bless him).

So here are Vibo and Sunshine:




After looking at Sunshine's picture it was obvious she's not going to stick around long at all, so why not give her the chance to come to Canada. What's up to two weeks (if even) of an extra retriever around. A bit of an extra hassle to me, the opportunity for her to find forever for her. Just doesn't seem fair of me to say no. Plus, even after Josh I'm a sucker for a retriever.

And, although being Pennyless makes me sad, I came across this picture of what has to be the cutest puppy alive and it brought my spirits up. This little puppy is in a high-kill shelter, but he'll make it out. Puppies make it out.

Cutest Puppy Alive!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your sadness .. I haven't met her and fell for her too! Penny looks & sounds like such a dignified beauty.
It is par for the course in dog rescue ... You have to be strong; a hero of sorts.
It will be comforting to see an update & know that she is in great hands in her new home.
cheers,

Piper said...

You are going to get a FLOOD of applications for those two...seriously.
They at least "look" like the dogs that everyone wants...hopefully they'll have the personalities to go along with their looks ;)
Good for you for giving them a second chance.

And I saw that puppy picture on BP's Facebook page too... a tiny puppy who's actually smiling?...doesn't get any cuter than that!

I look forward to reading about your newest arrivals!

Ashley said...

Nice job with Penny! I'm amazed you could keep the tears away - I get your poing of being easier for both of you but SO hard! Those goldens are awesome! If only i had room for one...but then I couldn't get another foster....

Lady May said...

Hey There Emily-
Just wondering if you've had an update from Penny's new fammily yet?