Wednesday, June 5, 2013

No Body Loves a Peanut

Not so surprising that Chopin has lots of interest -we're waiting on a homecheck in Langley-, but there's quite a few other apps too. Peanut however, is kind of sad she has no interest. She's a great little dog, quiet, playful, cuddly, doesn't mind being home for 5+ hours a day. Providing she's well-supervised she's house broken, and she sleeps like a rock in her crate over night though would really love some bed privileges. She's an easy keeper, so I don't really mind that she's still here, it's more of a case of "if someone knew how good you were, you'd have a line up."

There are the odd foster dogs that I think I'm going to have forever, they are messed up behavior wise, or sometimes right down to the temperament of the dog, or in some way they are a big "project" -super high energy, hyper-active, very shy-. Yet some of them surprise me that they get snatched up fast regardless. They "look" like a good dog, or someone is willing to work through the problems because the dog fits the ideal look, size, gender, age, whatever it is. I get it, I have one of those -I'm willing to deal with the people reactivity thing because of the high-energy, high-drive sports combination of dog, well, and because I didn't know I was getting reactivity before it landed at my door-.

So when I have a "good dog", that is, a normal kind of a dog without any "issues" that would need someone with some dog experience, I always have to wonder why no interest. Sure she has no training, can be a bit on the jumpy side and can be annoying with other dogs, but those things are very minor, and every dog is an individual and is going to have one or two quirks to iron out.

Here she is playing with Chopin:

On the bright side, she's an easy-keeper, so it's not one of those "please god, get her adopted" types. Those too have come through these doors. The ones where they aren't so bad they need to go, but you are checking your e-mail every at every opportunity pleading with your screen for an application to come in. Helping isn't all nice dogs and "feel good" feelings. Sometimes it is a dog you really dislike, but want to make sure they end up happy anyway. Cause that's the right way to do things.

Thankfully, most of them aren't like that. :)

Chopin surprised me (and himself I think) today. He suddenly turned into a retriever. Up until today he never even ventured to chase something, let alone bring something back. Today he played fetch with a kong for at least 10 minutes even, promptly returning it each time. We'll see if it's a one time thing. His mum is apparently a BC -fetch should be in him somewhere-. Just gotta take Jinks out of the picture to practice with him. Those little puppy legs just aren't able to keep up with ball-crazy collie.

To a fun-filled day tomorrow. I now have a working vehicle and don't have to share Jerrad's. Yeah! Independently mobile. Zoom zoom!




No comments: