Saturday, May 7, 2011

Honey's New Home and Fosterless

Honey went home this week, and Hani, the current dog at the residence couldn't seem to get happier. For a family that wanted to make sure their older dog had a 'best friend' Honey was exactly what they ordered.

I must say Honey is my favourite foster thus far. I'm not usually a fan of crazy terriers, but Honey mixed it up with cuddles, cuteness and absolute loyalty. Sure she managed to destroy a few pairs of underwear, was almost obsessed about destroying feminine pads when we would leave her at home (how she managed to get into them everytime is still a mystery), but to see her blossom from terrified fuzzball to confident, outgoing, curious little-bugger (I mean terrier) has really put a smile on my face. Underneath her past she's quite the charmer. She'll go up to people for pats, sniff almost any passing dog, and her little tail is nearly always on the go. I'm hoping someday to get some video of her trying out agility.

Lucky girl, only blocks from the beach, nice big house, nice big sister. Sometimes I wish I could be put up for adoption!

Now that its been a few days without a foster I can see Beckett is somewhat of a mess. He wanders around the small suite trying to find something to do, and failing returns to his bed. He longers plays with the nylabones he loved when the other dogs were here, and he's become quite a suck -laying near my feet as a type or curling up on the other side of the couch. Inside he's always been the epitomy of a lazy couch potato, but having the other dogs around you could see some life brought into him beyond going for a walk. There were days the dogs played in the afternoon for hours and a walk wasn't actually needed.

Although I rent, and its hard enough to do so with one dog, I'm going to put myself out there to possibly get a second once I renew my lease. I know my 'real' second dog is medium/large, is medium-high energy and is stubborn yet most likely submissive. A "Beckett" if you will. Until August though, hopefully I'll manage to have fosters around to keep my boy happy.

2 comments:

Royal K9 Korner said...

Congrats on your successful fosters! Lucky May & Honey. Beckette and You are going to feel so lonely with such a quiet household now. Did you say you'll have somebody else in Aug? Time will past before you know it. Enjoy your Main Man Beckett while it lasts ;-)

Emily said...

I'll hopefully have more fosters between now and August, but in August we renew our lease (if they want to renew our lease) and once we do that I'm going to allow myself to adopt a second dog once we find the right second dog. IE: one of these days a foster is going to become permenant. Which means no nice house by the beach for them :P