Thursday, July 26, 2012

Little Max Update

After his five hours of mental and physical activity yesterday, Max slept the whole day away at home curled up with his blanket in his crate. I came home and had to drag him out of bed! After a quick half an hour walk, we came home and he settled right down on my feet like usual. This guy doesn't have much stamina!

The surprise was that, Max finally decided he likes Beckett!

(PS: He wears a belly band as I'm not 100% confident yet that he won't mark in the house. And if he marks, Beckett will NEVER stop...)

In this one, it's cool to note the copying behaviour. I usually ask Beckett to 'shut-up' (not so nice of me is it :P) after a couple of woo-hoos, but in this case I don't mind as Max was trying to figure out how to get Beckett to play while keeping his manners in check! Copying behaviours are GOOD SIGNS! (Of course, you want them copying a good role model!) Sorry whoever Max's new home is, you're going to get a lot of husky 'woo-hoos'. I promise, there is good behaviour mixed it with it though!

The other day I was feeling a little guilty, as Max is the kind of dog that functions best with VERY FIRM, almost bordering on mean corrections. I remember the days of these kind of corrections with Beckett, where I conquered part of the husky brain. A simple "no" or "stop" just bounces right off of him. He loves positive when he is being a good boy, but once his brain is over the edge, there's not a lot of positive to be done. But give him very clear, very loud directions and he gets it! He needs a nurtuing mother 95% of the time, and a drill sargeant the other 5%.

As long as he keeps loyally laying at me feet and showing me this kind of rapid progress, I will continue with what works with him. I am your BOSS. You will do what I ask of you, and in return, I will give you safety, direction and also lots of praise when you suceed.

Max Happy Face. He is gaining the confidence he needs to be a super well-adjusted boy in all situations.
And now, to sit in front of the fan for a few hours. It is way too hot... especially when Max ALWAYS wants to be on your feet. He's too loyal for his own good...

Emily Out

No comments: