Sunday, September 9, 2012

Where the Heck do all These People Come From?

In order to give my fosters the most exposure I can, I post them almost everywhere I can, which includes usedvictoria, Craigslist, etc. Most of the time it is Victoria Adoptables that is where we get the best apps from, but we have had some AWESOME apps generate from Usedvic and Craiglist too. The two I can think of right off the top are Chowmein and DimSum. Both got their furever homes that way. There is something to be said about the sheer amount of seemingly weirdos out of the woodwork though. I think I've had at least 10 replies from Dickory on her usedvictoria ad along. It ranged from 80 year old lady wanting a companion to keep her grandkid busy when they were over, to someone who wanted a good hunting dog, to a fifteen year old who wanted to get their own dog.

Sometimes I just want to butcher some of these people, but I send the same generated response to everyone, and any bad points the dog might have that might turn adopters off. I don't believe I've got a single APPLICATION from any of the responses so far. They want to see her, they want to see her now. Too bad, no application, no luck.

We had an amazing homecheck for Dickory last night, but it was decided the family really wanted a retriever type personality -that kind of dog that likes to stay close by-. Understandable. Sometimes you don't know what you want until you meet a few dogs. Another application I had to unfortunately say no to, as though it was a good application, Dickory has been tested on cats and will definitely chase (with intent) a moving cat. Big barn cat, no worries, so she could still live with a REALLY dog-savvy cat.

So, she's here for a bit yet. Doesn't phaze me though. She is an amazing dog and needs an equally amazing home. One that will appreciate her stubborn streak, and have a stubborn streak themselves. (Just a little one).

On a bit of an ironic note, the last usedvic response was for a family who wanted a companion for their older Alaskan Husky, and their younger chihuahua mix. I think I have a clone somewhere out there! I kind of hope they put in an application, but I never get my hopes up.

Fact is, she'll find them when she's supposed to find them. I'll just keep up the networking until then.

Pictures soon. I have a new foster coming from Taiwan on the 14th -a purebred 3 year old golden retriever named Joshua. If you know anyone who has always wanted a golden, but would like to rescue, or would like an adult dog, point them this way. He is apparently a big sweetie :) I give him... a week. I'm seriously going to get mauled with applications!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dickory will find a furever place ' she's a good girl' But i do have a special yen for Goldens' he 's is Lovely' and i sure want ' but not now 'i can't ' & yes you 'll be swarmed with apps' lol cheers Pollyb

Piper said...

I seriously had to laugh at your descriptions of the people inquiring about Dickory. Honestly, some people are so crazy! I'm sure she'll have no trouble finding the right home ;)