Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Greetings

Sometimes I wish all my dogs could have greetings like Beckett, who is civilized and loving to every living thing even if they aren't so kind in return. Beckett never barks, never jumps up, he just siddles on up for some love or minds his distance. Forty people could arrive on our property and once and he wouldn't kick up a fuss. He would most politely invite them all in and tour them around.

Lemon on the other hand is a right tosser -sometimes I just want to nail her once so hard she never thinks of being a jackass again with me in sight.

So anyway Jinks and I were training in the yard, while Lemon toddles around in the front acre, probably trying to figure out how to get the lid off the cat food bin. Anyway, we're pretty darn rural so although we have a fair few vehicles go by, it's a rare occurance to get a PERSON walk by our place. Today... a person went by.

So of course I'm in the back field doing a great training session with the fear-stage puppy who thinks every new thing is suddenly out to get her, and Lemon starts a roaring fuss in the front acre or so. I have too much distance between her and I to call off her idiotic territorial "BARK BARK GROWL BARK BARK"now that it's started and not enough speed to stop Jinks who is now barreling to Lemon's aid, although back a good 15 feet from her (I'll bark at it from afar she says). So, corral the puppy into a down CHECK! Good puppy, stay there. "Yes mam, I think I will, you deal with that scary jogger up there."

Now to deal with that idiotic chihuahua.

I feel like a mother. You love your kids dearly, but sometimes you just want to smack them over a head with a canoe paddle. Of course we're 10-13 seconds in now and the jogger is nearly our property with her headphones on so doesn't notice a thing (thank god), but Lemon is now going past her invisible line. When she's an idiot, she's not going to do it halfway. She's almost going into ankle-biter mode. She's literally within kicking range of the jogger.

Usually once I'm within 10-15 feet of her the commands can come into play. Not today. Dog evaded pressure, threw off mean mum recall and ignored her down from a distance command. PLUS, when I finally did get to her, she knew she was in deep shit and pulled the "I won't let you touch me" move. So, I'm sure I blew a bit of a gasket and all I had was my chuck-it stick I brought in from the field. The jogger moves on and Lemon's still evading and barking her stupid little head off. So... I throw the chuck-it stick at her. HARD.

SMASH. (Better aim than I thought)  I think she was more stunned by the fact I threw a chuck-it stick at her than by it hurting her at all. So, take momentary laspe in thought and scoop dog up, release Jinks from her down which remarkably she's still holding, and go inside to where Lemon is going to remain her time-out crate for a long, long time.

Somehow I see a citronella collar in my future!

Teenagers!!!

Meanwhile, Beckett was still in the back field going "I'm just going to hang out here. It's safer this way." Dude knows whose boss. I'd take another Beckett in a heartbeat... a Lemon, I can only handle one.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll remember that one... It must be one of the positive dog training techniques they taught you during your training, right? "Throw a 'chck-it stick' at the yappy chi."
I've done similar things me-self ..... i.e. threw something at an x-boyfriend to get him to shut- up when nothing else worked... I thought it was an empty cardboard thing and didn't realize it had a hard plastic video inside it.-It hit him &loosened one of his teeth. I felt guilty ... a little.
(Good thing it didn't get his eye)
The three different personalities of your dogs make it all the more interesting,challenging & fun I'm sure.
cheers,
Wendy

Emily said...

Haha, unfortunately all the training in the world sometimes can't keep things in the 'only positive' category in the 'real life circumstance'.

Lemon is a territorial little shit. She flies through most if not all 'set-ups' to challenge the old behaviour and teach a new one in a positive way but it doesn't translate to unprepared visitors. If I'm caught off guard, there's not a lot of hope to keep her quiet.

Basically, if mum isn't within five feet, all training goes out the window. Sometimes I think I'm just training her to be sneakier about how she's territorial. I win battles, but generally lose the war with that one.

All three are hugely different. Beckett is honest, stubborn but with little effort on a continual basis knows where he stands and is happy with it.

Jinks is just the pup, sweet, sensitive, wanting to please most of the time. As long as you give her something to do, she's happy to comply and let you deal with the scary stuff.

Lemon is highly capable, but HIGHLY unwilling. She learns things fast so that she finishes things quick, and I have rarely if ever seen any passion or desire when I train her. It's like a switch goes off in her "Oh god, not training again." No matter how positive, how much cheese you bribe her with, etc, she still rolls her eyes at you. She would have been quite happy to lay on some old lady's lap for the rest of her days, but too bad for her, she's got work to do with me :P

Piper said...

I totally "guessed" that you would end up with Guess. She seems right up your alley!

Anonymous said...

I think Lemon is the absolute cutest little thing. She looks so spunky and sweet with loads of character.
Looks like a girl who just wants to have fun !
Wendy