Sunday, February 24, 2013

Two Happy Families

This is why I do what I do! I have never really understood the whole "how do you let them go?" question. When I see the happy family picking up the happy dog, it's just 'right'. A dog comes into my life for a short period and I get to enjoy them and then I let them go on to a lifetime of more happiness and the next in-need dog gets their spot. To me, that's just more happiness for me to witness and be apart of.

So here are the family shots I took of the two fosters getting adopted today. They literally overlapped, their people arriving within 10 minutes of each other, and signing papers together. Wrangler's family was going to come get him tomorrow, but we're too excited. They just had to come get him today :)

Here is Polly (now Annie) with her happy new family.
She jumped right into the back of the truck  and off she went.

And here is Wrangler (to be renamed), with his family.
Ewan, the son is especially in love, and Wrangler LOVES the kids.
It's true, there are some of them that leave bigger pawprints than others (looking at Trunk and Penny as the front runners with the biggest pawprints left), but it's about forever. I can't give every dog forever, but I can give them a few weeks or a few months to find forever.

Sometimes I think I'll take a break from fostering, but reality is this: I'm a bridge, and though it might make life a little more hassled for a week or two, the benefit to the individual dog that comes here is huge. If they are from Northern BC, they get the chance in a city to have numerous applications and very rarely stay past two weeks -though are welcome longer if they need. For the Taiwanese guys it's even more dire. Without a Canadian foster home, even the golden retrievers languish for months. But bring them to Victoria and you're looking at a maximum 2 week holding period on a golden retriever.

Is my two weeks of peace more important than helping a dog find a forever home. Call me a sucker, but to me, when I know I can place a dog quickly, I'm more apt to say "send them" regardless if my sanity could use some recharging.

But I get some recharging for the next week or so. We'll probably have a new incoming from Taiwan first week of March as there's a flight scheduled, but I'm not sure who is coming yet.

This pup IS coming though, to foster with a co-worker of mine. She is a miniature bull terrier mix!! 4-5 month old female. Not quite 20 pounds, and will probably double. I don't think she'll last long!
Leila is grateful to have the chance to come to Canada, where she will find a family she can grow up with!
Chances are it'll be another younger pup for me too. With so many applications for Wrangler and his siblings from across all demographics too (single guys, families, retired people, young couples, dog experienced and no experience) there's definitely a lot of people looking for a (rescue) puppy right now.

So for me, the happiness of fostering comes exactly in what fostering means. Seeing the dog through until they find their forever after. I'm grateful for the many dogs I've been able to be the bridge for. To see them on the other side is priceless.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have an update on the beautiful Penny yet?

Piper said...

It's funny, cause I've always thought the same thing about the "how do you let them go?" question. It's really not hard at all when you see the super ecstatic family getting to take their new pup home. You get to make two dreams come true: a dog's second chance at a home and a family's dream to have a dog. It's the best feeling ever ;)