Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Sunshine After the Self-Induced Thunderstorm

Today I understand why a lot of foster mums don't want to handle anything on the paperwork side. I even get why they don't want to meet the people who are going to adopt. Rescue is easier without faces. And tongues, and feelings, and all the complication that comes with being humans. And the more humans you add to the equation, the more work is spread out, but the more emotional baggage comes into the frey.

As the title of this blog suggests, I am not an overly great communicator. I sometimes assume things -and when I do, it seems that I not only make an ass out of myself, but since it deals with dogs, it has the power to make people very emotional -for good reason. Sometimes I am too gung-ho, or too tunnel-visioned, and sometimes I jump unknowingly into the deep end without a life-jacket -of which I'm very happy most of the time another rescue person will jump in afterwards and save me.

P.S. Thank you Lisa for saving my sanity last night. (Although I must note, she did try to psych me out! What are friends for but to kick you when you're down, and then pull you back up again :) )

So, I think I endured my first tried+true chaos of the rescue world. There's always glitches though! But we've all endured.

Which means -I'm proud to say Jerrad's little buddy Dayo is officially adopted! (Well, we meet to sign the papers on Friday evening, but its pretty much a done deal.)


He'll get to come for the occasional visit, and we'll get to see him grow-up into a most likely handsome young man! Many thanks to Peter + Cheryl, his adoptive family for sticking through my blunders. Many thanks also goes to Lisa for keeping me sane, and even more thanks to Yvette for dealing with everybody, everything, and to the best of her abilities, making sure EVERY match is the right one.

In other news, Trunk and Martha both have quite a lot of applications. I find once dogs come into foster care where their new possible families can meet them before committing, they get a lot more interest. And its understandable -especially when you're getting a second, or third dog. Its so hard to know the group dynamics until they're right in front of your face.

That said, TG adoptions have worked out for years without a meeting before adoption. But it is nice to have multiple applications to choose between.

So I'm kind of juggling things with Trunk now. She has great applications, no question, but I don't know yet what kind of home she would be best in. Cats? Kids? Other dog? Only dog? Yard?

I know she's great with pretty much everybody and everything, but I have to sit back and ask what will make her happiest.

And it doesn't help that she's so awesome to have around, that her and Beckett are good friends, that she has dog-skills out the ying-yang to help other dogs that come through here. That she's a mama-style dog who is the biggest helper I've had come through here. Granted, she does take some work as well, but she makes up for it in the amount of work she takes away from me too.

Trunk even has Ren as her fan-girl now. Every morning I let everybody out and Ren follows Trunk everywhere -if she isn't cuddling with me. She takes all of her cues from Trunk, and at daycare, Ren will sometimes be stupid enough to try to guard Trunk -which Trunk responds promptly by moving away and not letting Ren come back until she's going to be civilized.

How do I not want to have this dog around permenately? She makes things easy, and as much as Beckett is an awesome influence, he's an ignorer. He doesn't really shape behaviours, he more allows new dogs to become comfortable in their own skin. If Trunk stayed, I'd be adding not only to our family, but to the well-being of whatever other foster dogs come our way.

So, although I know its probably not the right time to get a full-time second dog, its hard not to think about that option too. But would Trunk be happiest being basically a therapy dog for other dogs? That's what this place is, its a lot of comings and goings, and not having your people to yourself. Its a lot of change, a lot of personalities, and sometimes a lot of broken spirits that need some mending.

She's awesome at what she does, but is that what would make her happiest? It takes a different kind of soul to enjoy what happens here. Dogs with Beckett's 'I don't really care about my people' attitude aren't all that common. And even if it was what would make her happiest, it comes with the downside of not being able to help more.

The long and short of it is with so many applications, I'm sure I'll find the best home for her. That said, Trunk is going NOWHERE that isn't 110% committed to this girl. She's special to me (they all are), but Trunk has come the closest to being a permenant member. And if for whatever reason all of the applications fall short somewhere along the line, she might end up just staying.

---Maybe its hard of me to judge Trunk's applications next to my own, but that's how strongly I feel about her. My home isn't perfect, not even close, and that's why I know there's a family out there that's her PERFECT MATCH. That said, I'm pretty good competition :P.

So yep, kind of torn, but in the long run I know almost every dog would rather their 'own' family, so I have my fingers crossed that Trunk finds a place all of her own.

For now, I'll Enjoy Her



No comments: