Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Missing Little Dayo

Sadly, Dayo left with Dave and is headed back up to Turtle Gardens :( -and he has become the first foster I've cried over. The rest of his littermates are ill and at the vets. Fortunately, Dayo has shown no signs of being sick, other than being a little sleepier than I thought normal, but he is your active, curious, flip-flop fetching, toe nibbling little dude. But, to be on the safe side, and because I don't have the resources to deal with a sick puppy, he's headed back to the base.

If he's healthy, and he isn't adopted already, I've got serious dibs to bring him back into foster. At 12 weeks he's won me over. He sleeps through the night in a crate, runs outside to do his business, and has better dog-skills than most teenagers! He has this prescence that will be greatly missed. He was the kind of prescence that made you always wear a smile. I don't think you could ever be in a really foul mood with him around.

---I also had to talk Jerrad out of adopting the little guy once I told him he was headed back up to TG. Jerrad, the one who didn't really want a puppy foster to begin with, and isn't a fan of small dogs in general, wanted us to adopt a small breed puppy :P.  He had puppy eyes bigger than Dayo's!

But regardless how cute and awesome Dayo is, there is no way I'll allow us to adopt a puppy. We rent. We have six month leases -that will most likely be renewed-, and I will NOT put us in the situation/possibility of having to move with a 7-8 month old puppy! I don't even think I would allow any foster puppy to go to a rental home (unless they'd rented for years or something).

I do very much hope Dayo comes into foster with us again as our time with him was very short, but I'm keeping reality in check. And that reality includes that we will probably never see Dayo again. I know he'll have an amazing family somewhere down the line, and I hope to read many updates about him on the TG blog, but it is very sad that most likely, we'll never see what he looks like when he's all grown up, or get to enjoy that fuzzy little ball curled up on the couch with us.

That said, I don't regret a minute of it -even if I never get to see him again. In two days, he won me over my dislike of puppies and he lit up the room and made everybody smile. He hung out in the office at daycare when the dogs were heading home so he could meet all the people, and he was awesome with absolutely everybody.

So, I give you guys fair warning! I want updates from this guy. (Make them sign monthly updates for a year into the contract okay :P This little is too special to me to not have a least a few in the next year!)

In other news, I've been feeling very much under the weather. Dayo's predicament, plus either an oncoming cold or flu that's been eating at me since the weekend has combined into a couch-ridden foster mum for most of today. I have this sneaky suspicion tomorrow will bring me a whack-load of energy. So that's the end of my pity party. I give myself until the morning. One day to be sick, tired, sorry, and the kind of emotional I don't get often. That's it. That's all there's time for!
The Husky-Faced Crew -last gathering :(


On a much more fortunate note, I was met this morning with a big bear hug from Trunk who has been following me around all day making sure I'm okay. She plays in little bits and pieces with Beckett, but has been keeping watch beside the couch or giving me kisses all day. Hopefully I'll feel well enough later tonight to start some more leash work with her. Twice she's brought me her tuggie, shoved it under my elbow and amused herself playing with it. To her credit, she hasn't had one accident today and is being very easy to deal with. She goes outside, pees, plays, and once I decide to head back in, she follows diligently right behind.

Once I even almost fell asleep and she nudged my hand, licked my face and headed back inside. I'm very lucky to have such a good foster girl. It seems the 'hardest so far' as Dave called her, is really exactly what I needed today. Its nice to know that we need each other.

Its these little moments that make me so grateful for the dogs in my care. Its not just them that's effected by their time here learning confidence skills, leash skills and other related city skills, but I get to enjoy sides of these shy dogs that haven't been shown before. I'm very honored that I get to the be the first person they really open up to (besides Yvette or Dave anyway).

Some little videos from the few times I went out in the yard today.

And some pics:
Dayo with Jerrad

Newest foster Ren is still Jetlagged. Playing a little bit, but snuggling a whole lot more!

Trunk: Okay, she's your Mum, you look after her for awhile!
Beckett: You realize I'm a mostly blind husky right.

Trunk: Good, taking pictures is a good sign.
(Obviously I am not sick enough to do without the camera)

Worried about me. You can see the little sharpei folds in her forehead this close up :)

Ren and Trunk in the yard. They've played with each other a bit, but Ren's a little miffed that Trunk has declared she's the biggest bitch in the house.

A moment of unbridled enthusiam for life. Run Trunk Run!

Hmm, ears back she almost looks like she has a little pittie in there somewhere.

Ren falling asleep in the yard.
 Awake long enough to get a good picture :)

Ren is doing well too. The girls are a little standoffish with each other (Trunk has a very 'pei' attitude  and likes things done her way :P, and Ren has a similiar air about her), but they're fine together. She's quiet, cuddly and is a real winner as far as any adopter is concerned. I don't think she'll be here long :)

On the downside, just as Trunk seems to have regained her housebreaking skills, poor Ren doesn't have a clue. I've seen her pee and poo outside, but I've definitely cleaned up a lot of pee today!

At least the two of them aren't going inside anymore though!
Be thankful for the small things right :)

Best wishes,
Emily

No comments: