Tuesday, September 6, 2011

And We're Back to "The Calm"

Wow, what a whirlwind of a productive, working-vacation weekend. Dog barf, pee, and new families abound.

Did I mention Trunk gets car-sick. Well, she didn't do too badly, but poor Mr. Beckett was a yucky, slimy mess for the ride home :S.

But lets start in the beginning of the middle shall we?

We grabbed Mila and away we went, 6 dogs in the back of the car, and a 5 hour journey.
We dropped Mila off in Port Alberni, where although a little hesitant, found the teenagers fast, showed interest in playing with Sawyer (the current dog), and went sniffing around the yard. A quick signing of the papers and my usual "the first 3-4 days might be hell" talk and we were out of there.

---I find if people aren't ready for not quite a week of real chaos, they aren't ready for a new dog anyway. Usually it goes better than expected, but for anyone adding a dog (or second, or third) dog to the household, prepare yourself for the first week.

Just over two hours later, -around 9pm- we hit Tofino and Trunk's new digs (just across from the beach I might add). She was more just grateful to be a solid ground again, found a comfy spot under the table and crashed. We did a quick homecheck, quite a bit of talking -as Trunk is DEFINITELY going to need some time to adjust- and Trunk decided she'd warm up to the men faster (which is normal for her, I'm just her female person).

Baloo the lab had sexy ears, so I wasn't too worried about the two of them getting along!

With Trunk passed out on the floor, I left my baby in good hands. There were a few times driving back that both Jerrad and I just wanted to turn the heck around, burst into the house, grab Trunk and leave, but we didn't.

It was a quiet trip home, both of us knew she'd have the most awesome life there, that they were everything Trunk needed and more. But both of us were really quite attached at the same time. Even now, part of me still wants to be selfish. To want to keep her all to ourselves. And I've never felt that way before. I've never sent a foster off to an amazing home and felt regret.

Even now, I'm asking myself, did I make the right decision? ---and I keep telling myself "YES! You made the best decision for TRUNK." The best decision for Trunk isn't necessarily the best decision for you, you selfish little writer!

I know we did the best thing. Although Trunk would have had a fabulous life with us, she's got a stable life with a best friend, and a bunch of secret beaches all to herself. She's got one of the best set-ups imaginable. Who'd want to live here when there's all that over there!

So, after figuring out all of Trunk's paperwork, I quickly noticed when I sat down my seat was soaked. Ren, that bugger had pissed on my seat! And me, being the redneck SK girl I am, brought only one pair of jeans for the 2 day trip. UGG! So, the dark, the pee, and the time made us head straight home. Jerrad likes driving at night anyway, it was cool outside and the dogs after a quick pee break (in which only Beckett actually peed) we were on the road again. I fell asleep for the most part, and when I got home I was very thankful to be out of my pee-soaked jeans. The car still stinks to high-heaven, but such is life. You can get smells out -I think. Hopefully ??

And just now I dropped Ren off for her one week trial. I quite like Ren, but unlike Trunk, I dropped her off and didn't really feel much of anything except that Ren better not pee on her new mum's car seat! I guess the difference between them is I knew from the moment I saw Ren she would never stay. Trunk grew on me (when I first picked her out of the back of the TG van I NEVER thought she'd stay either).

We'll see if Ren lasts out her trial. The sticky tidbit is that Ren has never really peed on a leash before, so it might take her a LONG time to pee on a leash living without a fenced in yard. But if she can adapt to Canada from Taiwan, she can learn how to pee on a leash! ---Unfortunately, she also likes to pee on carpet, and her new home does have a LOT of carpet. So fingers crossed she figures that out!
PS: Scarlette from the previous post got adopted a few hours before my contacts would have been able to pull her. YES! Whoot! Now not to go looking for anyone else.

I'm down to three. (Beckett and the Chis) and for a week or two, I'm hoping it'll stay nice and peaceful. IE: The calm before the envitable, self-inflicted storm.

PS: Beckett is being a sore loser and hasn't come in at all the last two days without Trunk or Ren around. He sits in the yard looking all mopey, and when I bring him in when it gets too hot out, he just sits by the door until I let him out again. Rubbing it in much buddy!

My responses to Beckett as of late:
And the answer is: yes, you will eventually have a sibling. And no, it won't be at the expense of them not getting to live an AMAZING life elsewhere. And no, you can not be adopted to a home with a big kickass beach. You got the short end of the stick -but you get a shitload of exercise, so quit all the complaining.

Our conversation could go on for awhile until I bring somebody new home :S

Best,
Emily

No comments: