Saturday, September 10, 2011

My California Rescue of Chula, Antoinette and Amelia

I suppose I should get around to writing the weird, twisted tale before I get too far removed from it that I don't remember a thing.

So, it started at probably 8:00-8:30pm, when I had a house full of dogs that were content sleeping, and if I dared turn on a light to read mass chaos would most likely ensue. I'd done all the usual computer things: e-mail, blog, check out the rescue sites, have a game of scrabble against a computer that usually kicks my butt. I'd finished my supper, and I had the sort of crew that any movement I did, they were right there in my face going "What now?"

So, although I usually give up after an hour or so of randomness on the computer, I kept surfing, and came around to the import pages of rescue. And its absolutely nothing new that rescues import. Some do it ethically, some to make a quick buck, but somehow I stumbled upon this facebook page with about 80 pictures of highly adoptable dogs. They had video, volunteers rallying for them, and at least 1/4 of those faces would never make it out of the shelter alive. And they only network the highly adoptable dogs, there's at least 200 more in the shelter that have an even lesser chance of getting out. ---There's suffering all over, but I poked my head onto some of the pictures, read bios, basically did the dog person's equivilant to weeding out boredom.

This started about a week or so adventure after hitting "Like". I saw who was getting adopted, sometimes who didn't make it out (its a very positive site, so they cheer up everyone with all the adoptions, but the ones that die, they just pull their picture out quietly and with as much respect as one can offer on the web, changed their videos to reflect their tragic passing with music.

Now, if you ever wanted a ChiX, a Pitty mix, or a Sheppard, there are OODLES of them at shelters like these. Although I'd like to help out a sheppard, we have to many in the province for me to bring any in -I'd just go find one to help with TG or whatnot. And although a few of the pitties really tore at my soul (especially one named Dolly, who everday I tracked her picture down until it just wasn't there anymore), I don't have the resources to effectively deal with the hoop-la of a pitty (basically, what everyone else brings to the table regarding a pitty) most of the time I quite like pitties myself.

And so I saw Antoinette's picture. A week passed (they usually have two if they're highly adoptable), and her picture was still there, and still there, and still there. So, I finally clicked on her video -the videos do me in, so I tried not to look at a lot of them-. And, I made my first turn when I posted on her picture that "this dog would find a home quickly in BC."

And opening my big mouth led to a shitload of people wanting money, or whatnot, but a small little message on my facebook said mountains. It said: "I would like to send Antoinette to Canada, I will pay her travels fees. Please do not contact me about any other dog, or money, or whatever a lot of these rescue freaks have done. I just want to save this one girl, and I will help you do it. If you are still a somewhat sane individual, please contact me."

This lady had done her research. She saw my post, found my blog, checked out the rescues I foster for, etc. And I guess she had been looking at Antoinette's picture awhile same as me, and she helped me get in contact with a few SOLID people that would help bring Antoinette up to Canada. So, Alanna (the rescuer) and I talked back and forth, and since two dogs could travel together, she asked me if I wanted to rescue a second dog -although I would be responsible for the fees-.

I said okay, as long as we find somebody healthy (the price to bring one dog up altogether was $400 -so I was DEFINITELY not making any money, but at the same time, pay it forward right? The plan was never to make money (although I've sure found out I can if I want to))

So we both went looking at pictures. Although there were a few in the videos section, by this time I had found the site where ALL of the dogs were, even the ones not priviledged enough to be networked.

And so I narrowed it down to three potential dogs, and Chula was chosen as Antoinette's travelling companion. (Ironically enough, the day before she was picked up, she was added to the highly adoptable list and given an extension on her sentence).

So the two girls were picked up. Antoinette with hours to spare, and Chula, with about a week or so. They bonded super quickly, got over their kennel cough in a home environment, and we made arrangements with another rescuer who is a West Jet employee to help with transport. They also become inseperable and still are a month or so later. (Which is why I'm glad they're being adopted together :) )

Last minute, Alanna and her rescue had a bunch of donations for another dog to hitch a ride to Canada. And this isn't your wishy-washy, throw a bunch of dogs in a truck type thing, it was a solid $350 saved to do all the vetting, and transport to Canada. A group of people that had also done their research and looked into my blog, and my pictures, and my assumed sanity.

So I said, okay, send somebody over. Female, spayed. And thus Amelia was found! She didn't even have an intake picture, and wasn't even considered by staff or volunteers for the highly adoptables posting. There are SO many like her, she in no way stood out.

PS: Here is Amelia (now Lexi) in her foster home! I think she's pretty cute ;)

And all of a sudden it dawned on me that I really didn't want to be my own rescue. All of a sudden I had people sending me weird e-mails, or even phoning me about saving Chis -one lady phoned me asking if I wanted to save Chis for $50 a piece, all vetting done already. Her site says she adopts them out for $450! Umm... although those lives are in no way any less than the girls I saved, I'm really not here to make a quick buck, or fill my house with Chihuahuas. So, with as much politeness as I could, I said "We're a full house here, sorry." (In happenstance, I really should have been more rough, as I think I've had 4-5 phonecalls asking if I would like to foster instead.)

So I went back and forth with Carol of VA. Although in total I spent $700 (paid for a plane ticket too), I saved three lives. Chula still has to be spayed however. Carol graciously said they could be VA dogs (I've fostered for her before), so that's gotten me out of a lot of sticky situations I'm sure.

So hopefully it'll round up even, or close to it. Any extra is going back to VA ---both for helping these girls out, and for being so helpful with posting our TG Dogs and such. But I doubt, if there's anything left, it won't be much! Sorry Carol -I know you have vet bills out the wazoo!

We'd Much Rather be on the Couch than Used for Cosmetics!

Oh, and for more on California rescue:

Disgusting reality. Most of the dogs that are killed in high-kill shelters, especially in CA, go to rendering factories, and eventually turned into the cosmetics many of us put on their face.

Their dead bodies are thrown in a big boiling pot together and their fat is what eventually is sold under glamourous labels. Many a person whose given up their pet in CA, has probably worn their pet on their face!

Although I don't wear much -or any- make-up anyway (time commitment, and the fact that the dogs will just mess it up!), please take a moment to look at this: http://www.bihartimes.in/Maneka/cosmetics.html

And, if you do wear make-up, (which is a reality for most women), please spend the extra money and get something that doesn't have you wearing a dog on your face! And if you can find something that doesn't do any animal testing either, all power to you!

A few of the faces/videos that are now unfortunately, going to be worn on somebody's face :( Although they are hard to look at, please take a moment to watch some of the thousands of faces that just don't make it. And, at the same time, there are just as many in our own reserves that, although don't turn into cosmetics, meet the same end.)
http://www.youtube.com/user/baldwinparkdogs (One of many seniors)
http://www.youtube.com/user/baldwinparkdogs#p/u/28/kf3XwkNZgw4 (Young and Purebred, doesn't mean you're safe)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqB9nj7wcV4 -One of the possible candidates for me to save. Gone now :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2QtoGiWhW4 -Two days after my girls were pulled -or she would have been saved. However, that probably would have been at the price of one of my girls.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MPQ9qAhsdo -Retirement capital Victoria would have had LOADS of people interested in this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOlBM0qThgk -Another senior being turned into cosmetics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjA_dUuGsjM -Melody, another possible candidate for my 'second save' (IE: Two could fit in the same crate, so I saved a second one)

Although there are LOADS of pitbulls, this is the video I keep looking back at. If I had my own place, where I didn't have to worry about breed, size, etc, I would have saved this one. Unfortunately, she too has been throw liveless in a barrel, and then her dead body thrown into a boiling pot to make beauty products. I'm so sorry Dolly.

DOLLY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl_BV7H4g3I

This is the sad reality of these dogs " - no one came for him until it was too late and he was taken to the back of the shelter and given a lethal injection of sedatives.  Their body was placed in a barrel of dead dogs inside a freezer and awaits shipment to a rendering plant where it will be boiled and the fat will be drained to produce lipstick and other cosmetics.|

And so, that concludes the story of the Chihuahuas. -Until their happy endings that is ;)

No comments: