Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Ah, Revisiting Some Pooches

It's true, 8:30pm comes around and my head turns to goobly-gouk. There is absolutely no way to manage to do anything correctly, and so, for about two hours before I throw myself into bed for another night, its the time to surf dogs, cuddle dogs, watch stupid movies, think about doing the laundry and in general, doing shit-all. Even if I have a gazillion things to do -like the crushing pile of masters rewrites, or e-mailing about tuggies, or tying my shoes, my brain just can not continue to sort all the information. It goes: "I QUIT!" and I become a laptop zombie.

Lately, I've been making my head quit before I actually finish everything that I want to, but in a way, it keeps me sane as the more I have to do, the less I get myself in trouble with having extra time.

Anyway, long story short, tonight 8:30 hit, I'd surfed through numerous Cali shelters without any picture sucking me down for another foster (oh dreaded 'yet'). I found two possibles, that if not adopted in a week or so, I'll consider seriously, but I really doubt they'll be close to euthanization. Words to eat though, as that's what happened with Adam.

Tuesday, 4 Year old Corgi/Cattle Dog Mix. @ Baldwin Park Shelter
How can you say no to that SMILE!

Second is ID#A511406 -I'm going to Call her Silver as I'd rather her name not be equivilant to a phone number. She's a five month old Chi X. Looks like a minature Pit Bull. She's @ Devore Shelter, which is notorious for having dogs freeze to death at the shelters -and they let it happen so that they don't have to euthanize! This is Silver:

Anyway, surfed those guys, (about 700 different dogs altogether!!), checked my rescue sites (I'm SO glad TG is updating daily or more than daily now. It's amazing how addicted am I to that blog and those pictures!), played a horrible game of scrabble against the machine and not-surprisingly lost.

Got an e-mail for a homecheck, figured out the Bus Run was this weekend, and went, oh hey, why not. So, might be getting somebody sooner than later. With only one extra running around it doesn't seem to be an issue whatsoever. And maybe that'll keep me from saying 'yes to the dog' (did I mention if I had cable, instead of dogs I'd be endlessly watching wedding dress and debt shows?)

Will keep you updated on that front.
But posting a pic to my facebook wall, I went surfing through some old foster pictures too. First off, over the last few days I've really been missing Trunk. So when I found this pic, I was nailed.

Me and my girl.
Now don't get me wrong. I LOVE Lemon with all my stinking heart, and she is the better dog for the total circumstances, and she makes me laugh like crazy and Beckett is even crazier about her, but there was, and always will be something about Trunk that I very much doubt will come around again anytime soon. Trunk was my heart dog. If there wasn't another dog, if we didn't rent in a very restricted pet-rentals place, and if I were single (or not I guess) Trunk would have stayed. She took a piece of me when she went and even now I catch myself at times wishing I would have kept her. She was different with me too. With me, there wasn't one hesitance, one piece of shyness, one fear. In the short time we were together she trusted me completely, and I too, trusted her completely in return. Heck, there are times when I don't even trust Beckett! (But then again, can you ever trust a mostly blind husky with a love for running?)

Trunk Happily Running in the Yard

But, although there are times that I am sad that she isn't a permenant fixture in my life, there are also the times when I think how much of blast she must be having in Tofino with her new brother Baloo, and how by not adopting her, we fell in love with a maniac ChihuahuaX who will continue to grow as more and more fosters come and give her life experience. And even though she's gone, I still have a part of her here with me, through pictures, and through experience, and through all the funny moments she brought us.

One of my favourites, BTW is crating anybody with her. One yelp and Trunk did the whining in for a few hours! Graelee didn't stand a chance! Trunk was the ultimate babysitter, my cuddle-beast, the dog I couldn't get enough of. I don't think she missed a single shift at the daycare, she was always with me. And now, she's giving that to someone else, but am I ever glad she came. Although I won't go steal her back, there will always be a spot for her back here. And this I think is why I'll never (never say never though right) get number 3. Because if Trunk ever needed another home, she would come back here and I would adopt her in a heartbeat.

There are some that leave bigger pawprints in your heart than others, but all of them get you someway. And, to finish off not-so-sappily, I've (in my 8:30-10:30pm gobbly-gouk hours) put together a calendar of some of my foster dogs this year. --Not everyone can fit!

Jan-December.













Now to turn it in. Goodnight :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely sequence! And lucky dogs, to have been through your hands and learned love and stability, and gone on to find furever homes...

Brigid

Anonymous said...

...and I fell in love with Trunk also through just reading your blog!...she reminds me so much of our Mya!...keep up the good work!

Bark Collar Reviews said...

Awesome stuff, thank you and keep coming with these, will be back again.