Monday, November 21, 2011

Tuggie Links -and Adoptions!

Okay, I finally managed to find some good tuggie links. These are for the square, basket weave sort of tuggie, that's more durable. A basic braid is still a good choice for small dogs, and a basic braid with a lot of ends left loose drives cats looney (in a good way).

Here are the links:

 http://youtu.be/XwCNn5Gnn6M - box stitch then: finishing box stitch -
 http://youtu.be/S4xFEb4ZHsc
 http://youtu.be/UtWWA6MQXGE
 http://youtu.be/I0SqmQNV2yU
I will be answering requests for tuggies this evening. (I got Christmas colored fabric, so am pretty excited!)

Also, things in the dog department have slowed. Chata, Kane and Lady, who were all on one week trial, were all officially adopted yesterday!!!! I'm hoping to get family photos soon :) Adam has had his home-visits, and I have offered him to one family as of this morning. I just got confirmation back that "YES, WE DEFINITELY WANT TO ADD ADAM TO OUR HOME!" He'll go home sometime this week :)

Also, because I think people are generally interested about 'numbers', here is a breakdown of costs associated with bring the five dogs (Kaiser included) over.


Chata, Kane and Lady -who came through People Loving Pets
$250 per dog for pull/boarding with Alanna/vet check for $750
$300 for Jutta's plane ride/hotel stay/crates/dog transport for a Total: $1050.00
Adoption Fees: $350.00 for Kane, $350.00 for Lady, $300.00 for Chata (discount as she was picked out and adopted before coming here, so I wouldn't have to pay to feed her,etc). Total: $1000.00

Money Out: $1050.00
Money In:    $1050.00
__________________
Funds:         -$50.00

Price to save three dogs lives: $50 (I can definitely live with that!) Plus, I have an extra crate now.

Adam:
$80 for pull and transport to boarding.
$80 for boarding.
$30 for de-fleaing, a month's worth of advantage and feeding raw for two weeks
$80 divided by 2 for $40 for us to transport him to and from Vancouver
Total: $230
Adoption Fee: $350

Money out: $230
Money in:   $350
______________
Total: +$120.00

However, there's a big difference with Kaiser, which goes to show that this is definitely not a money making game.

Kaiser:
$200 for pull and transport to boarding. Includes his vaccinations, neutering and vet exam.
$325 for boarding (he was there almost a month before he found transport, which isn't atypical)
$200 for transport to Canada
Total: $725.00
However, we did get some general sponsorship
$250 in donations.
Total now: -$475.00

Saving Kaiser was my 'birthday present' and is now an Island Dogz 'dog', so no monies for him will be coming back. (That's okay though, it was in the plans!) However, even if his adoption fee was about $300, there's no way to make money. It just goes to show that like most rescues, even if you make a slight profit (like with Adam), it ALWAYS has to go back into saving someone who needs vet attention, or needs longer care before adoption.

In other great news, a rescue took Casper (the white albino boy of the last post) in! So Casper won't have to spend his final days in a dark, cold shelter. Even with the darkness in this world, I marvel at the kind people as well. The people like Yvette and Dave of TG, Lisa the foster head, the people dedicated to seniors like Carol of Saints, and Jean and her lovely senior crew and whoever took Casper in. These are people who I admire, look up to and thank again and again.

And I know there is no way to save them all -regardless of where they are from. But, hopefully, the few I can save will go on to live happy, bright lives with families who could never part with them.

Also, this 4some (Adam, Lady, Kane & Chata) went way too smoothly. Not a single bump in the darn road -minus Adam having fleas-. Three had trials before they even arrived, so I didn't even have to bring them home (a good thing considering we aren't moved into the farm yet), and Adam had 4 applications within a week. Plus, he's such a good little house dog. AND HOUSETRAINED! As much as this pleases me, it's probably going to push me to do the California thing again! I can never completely win right ;) If it goes wrong, it goes wrong, if it goes right, I'm too tempted to do it again.

But I have to keep reminding myself, something will go wrong eventually, so I should probably quit while I'm ahead (or at least, can jump out of the hole!). Why is it so darn hard with certain faces though.

And also, a big thank-you to everyone whose shown their support for Casper, or for California rescue, and anything that I do. I've very thankful for those who read this blog, and support me, even if from afar.

Many thanks,
Emily

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily...I really enjoy your blog! I made some of the tug toys but have run out of time and craft shows to get them sold. I have emailed Yvette with details and some pictures. I have 24 tuggies (various sizes) ready to go - know anyone who is attending any craft shows coming up? All I want is to make sure any $ gets to TG.

CHeers
Donna