Thursday, June 7, 2012

Can't People Just be Grateful?

After awhile of doing rescue, you just get used to the naysayers, but sometimes its difficult to smile and nod and just keep plowing on. So it is plowing through some of the e-mails from differnet people asking me to take this dog or that dog, or to save this one or that one, and most of the time, I don't even bother answering. The hardest part right now is that most people know I'm empty or almost empty.... oh the powers of an active blog and facebook...

The biggest fumbling block that is overly annoying is 'why won't you take this one, doesn't this one deserve as much as a chance as whoever you have a) b) c)? Are they just not cute enough? Not young enough? Not.... blah blah blah blah...'

I'm sorry I can not help them all. But I can't. I'm one small foster home. I save who I can save without burning myself out (as, if I burn myself out, there won't be many new saves). I personally will not deal with dog-aggression, no matter how damn cute a dog is. I usually don't take big male dogs, as I have to put my own personal dogs' wellbeing into the equation first. I am loyal to my own province's rescue too and no offence, it is not my job to clean up California or Mexico or Taiwan, or whatever. I save who I save from abroad because I know I can adopt them out and/or because I've seen their videos and know they will do well here. Is it fair. No. But I didn't say it was.

I guess its just annoying sometimes that as the rescuer you are made to feel like the bad guy, because you won't take somebody on. If only people could be grateful of the contribution (however small) other dog people make. It would go a heck of a long way to making me want to save some more lives. However, I'm not too down. I have too many great rescue allies that I never stay down for too long.

END OF RANT.

For I AM doing lately.
I'm helping rescue a pup come from Mexico in the next week or two, but unless she's super horrible with cats she has a foster-to-adopt already. I'm her back-up. She'll probably land here a night or two, but we'll be empty or almost empty when she comes, so no big deal.

Meet Elsy, a 8 month old, 9 pound Papillon?x ... could be a chi mix or even a toy aussie mix, but mostly, she looks like a toy version of a border collie (anyone that knows me knows I'm a complete sucker for the look of a border collie!). So sue me, I save the ones that strike me. I did just save a Min Pin!! (total opposite of what strikes me!)

Elsy from Mexico
I'm looking forward to my TG foster(s) coming in a few weeks. Zephyr and Jasmine will head to their new home on the 15th and that'll give us about a week to be fosterless (hopefully...).

In other news, Rupee went home! She remembered the people right away. She is now in Tucker's extended family. She was such a sweet little girl. Even though she was a min-pin, I'm glad I got to spend time as her foster mum. Each one brings you something new. After Rupee, I'm a little less breedist. I'm sure once a certain Min Pin comes to daycare again I'll be breedist again though :P

We have Suhki and Veda staying the weekend, which should be fun ---yay, someone who will play fetch!- and Jasmine comes back Sunday so we can transport her the following week. Cecily bought her a thunder shirt and she no longer paces :) She's still a little 'different' than your typical dog, but considering what the poor girl has been through, it's amazing she's not so much worse.

So that's all that's on the agenda lately. I'm a little on the boring side.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good grief... That is one very cute looking little mexi- mini-border collie!!!
(I want her!)
Hope to hear more about ..Elsy....The name seems to really suite her.
As for you.. You do great work for the pooches you are able to take on & I am a big fan.
Wendy

Emily said...

Thanks Wendy :)
I think the name suits her too. Some dogs it takes forever for me to find their name, but some just fit with what they come with :)

I have someone that wants to foster-to-adopt her, but if that doesn't work out, she'll be blogged about, so you'll learn more. I figure everything works itself out.

Are you looking for another ;)

Unknown said...

You are doing such a great job of finding homes for the dogs you are fostering I guess everyone is thinking you can do great things for the dog in their care. Keep up the good work for those you are able to help and know that you are doing the best you can to make it better for the many dogs you are helping.

Anonymous said...

O my Emily,

Just got on yr blog and what do i see but such a sweet little Elsy girl! It is a good thing that we have our Miss Veda Fussypants already because i could not resist the temptation of having that wee Border Collie type x romping about with Mr. Sukhipants....jeeeez...too cute...She can not help the fact that she is adorable...Yes...it will find her her furever home..perhaps sooner but I trust that her misery had the same taint of abuse, neglect etc...as if she were coming from Burns Lake, Hazelton or wherever humans are guilty of not caring.

I hope that our Sukhi and Veda are well behaved...Ha ha...and that yr weekend is peppered with lots of fun.....O we forgot to mention (but i trust that u have discovered the blink connection) that when Veda needs to pee she sits in front of you and quietly stares and/or blinks her baby browns.. See u on sunday.
Thanks,
cheryl

Piper said...

That is stressful to have people constantly asking for you to help...I would be so overwhelmed! You're doing an awesome job :). And Elsy sure is cute!

Anonymous said...

I am always looking..
It's an obsession ...& I Would love another.
It's circumstances.
(& one reason I have resisted fostering)
I may break down at some point though.
My mother is in mexico.....with an adopted street dog... So many there everywhere..
I have incentive to visit Mexico but worry about bringing a dog there.
If I could find an excellent/ reliable dog trade sitter... so I'd have the freedom to travel to Mexico ; knowing my dog(S) where well taken care of here... it would be an easier decision.
Any ideas on that? .......Know of anyone who'd like to dog sit trade?
Wendy

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy - I am also always looking for someone to dog sit/trade. I don't go away without the dogs very often. Only issue is that I have 3 dogs (one very senior on her last legs...which is causing even more constraints because of accidents), so I usually get someone to stay here when we go away. I am open to the idea of taking on another dog for a shortish time if the general lifestyle/routines match so that there can be a good transition for the dogsit period.

Emily/Wendy - what do you think? Do you know of how I could network more to trade dogsitting?

I think there are likely many people in a similar position in Victoria. A network to accommodate this idea would be a good idea.
Elisabeth

Anonymous said...

I am interested.
I am on Salt Spring big house.. big fenced yard ( am hoping to sell and looking to move to Victoria area)
Wendy

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy - I'm in Victoria and will be coming to Saltspring camping for a few days in mid August. Perhaps we could connect. My e-mail is wipfli@shaw.ca
Elisabeth

Anonymous said...

OMG this little one looks just like my Panda girl..an American Eskimo dog X Sheltie..what a sweetie..since we spend many months each winter in Mexico I have such an attachment to the little ones that are there..this one looks very much like one we came across last year who was adopted down there by a couple from Winnipeg..hope it all works out..I would love to foster her if it doesn't..lol.Cheryl