Thursday, June 21, 2012

Little Updates

Just a couple of little updates from some just adopted dogs:

Jasmine and Zephyr are doing well up north. They have become the husband's dogs (I kind of thought that would happen with Jasmine ;) ) and are enjoying long leisurely walks, and the peace and quiet. They're still settling in, but are comfortable and super quiet. They still have some bonding to do with mum, but that'll come in time :)

Pika's new dad got news of a job transfer about a week after adopting Pika. So as of last week Pika is now a Calgary resident. She is doing super well, registered in some obedience, and is starting daycare  for some extra socialization. Her mum reports she is a PAPER HOUND.

PROOF
Hopefully she was helpful while packing!

The little Mexican, Elsie (who I called Twist), had an interesting adventure too. She came up and is quite literally, a border collie in miniature. Looks, brain, attitude, even quite a bit of the herding instinct. But in about 15 pounds! What I picked up was a wild, lovely, altogether fantastic dog that I knew wasn't what the family I had lined up for her was looking for. She was going to need something to do!

However... the instant I saw her run and bound and turn, I could just see it stapled all over her I AM A SPORTS DOG!!!

So, no-go on the foster-to-adopt, but I had back-up and she was very social. But it was love for someone else instantly.

My co-worker Meshum has fostered a few Turtle Gardens dogs, and helps out Mexican rescue when an adoption fails and leaves the dog in Victoria without a way to really get back to Mexico. And since I've known her, she's wanted, but knows she doesn't have the time to handle, a full border collie. Although she's decided not to foster for a bit to deal with some medical problems in the family, her eyes bugged out of her head when she saw Miss Twist. She quickly hi-jacked my newest foster, took her home for an hour to test her on some equipment, dog sociability, cat sociability, and older kid sociability. And then I got the text: I want to keep her. I sent a couple back: "You sure, I thought you didn't want another one right now." "No, I want her to stay." So, Twist is now named Lita, and I'll be seeing a lot more of her at daycare -she is a whizzing blur of play constantly, but you pick her up and she melts in your arms.

It also reaffirms my belief in some things are just meant to be. Of course you want to make sure you have the basics to raise a dog right and commitment for the long haul, but sometimes the perfect dog shows up at a not so perfect time.  However, I think if you still want to adopt, even if things aren't perfectly in place, that says a lot too. If I was a more practical person, Lemon would have never become Lemon. I'm sure a lot of dogs are this way. Things are never perfect. Just like kids, you'd be waiting forever to have kids if you were waiting for the 'perfect time'. What I do think is perfect, is that Lita found exactly the kind of home she will thrive in. Big back yard, loads of playmates, sports training as well as lots of structure for her bossy boots Mexican nature. And of course, as much as Lita has gained a great home, Meshum has gained a great personality in her life.

Here is a shot my co-worker Brianne snapped of Lita.

Hopefully I'll get some good body shots of her soon, as she really is a looker!
In other slight news, Cindy the Taiwanese Golden Retriever has been postponed due to typhoons in Taiwan. She will be hopefully arrive around the 10th of July now.

Two dogs coming from TG on Saturday. I will let you know who I'm lucky enough to foster as soon as they get on the bus. No jinxing things!

Oh, and a picture update from miss Evee who was adopted over a year ago now. All of her siblings have come to Victoria now and have been adopted. They're hoping for a sibling get together soon.


Evee and her K9 Sibling Lila (both are avid sports dogs if you can't tell :) )

Till Saturday night!
Emily

No comments: