Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Born to Die?

Puppymills are everywhere, it's heartbreaking and not fair for any life to be born just to reproduce and die. My soon-to-be mother in law has a stud miniature schnauzer she adopted when he was no longer need. For years this poor guy was scared of his own shadow. Allie who a puppymill momma, obviously tortured by human hands, a complete lack of trust and faith in the human species. Recently Freddie came to foster, and he was lovely and snuggly, but you could tell, he too had been through some bad times. All these dogs, despite their past, were lucky enough to land in great homes.

Today, skimming my news feed, I came across an adult border collie posted from a Taiwanese government pound -these pounds kills hundreds a day. Very, very few make it out to be rescued. The government pound is basically a tomb.

Looking into it a little bit more, I found a newsfeed: http://www.nexttv.com.tw/news/realtime/latest/10491921/%E7%8B%97%E7%85%89%E7%8D%84%EF%BC%81%E3%80%80%E7%B9%81%E6%AE%96%E5%A0%B4%E7%B1%A0%E5%85%A7%E9%A9%9A%E8%A6%8B%E7%8B%97%E7%99%BD%E9%AA%A8

The images are just as graphic as a puppymill this side of the world, and the dogs in just as deplorable conditions. However, now that the puppymill has been shut down, these dogs aren't rescued, they are now just waiting to die in a government pound. Maybe a few of them will be saved by rescue groups, but it hurts me deep inside to know they have almost no chance, that their lives mean nothing, that they will probably never know a hand that will love them.

Here are three purebred border collies, probably awaiting the inevitable result of a government pound in Taiwan.


At least if they were in California, a breed-rescue would scoop them up, or in BC, some sort of rescue would be able to take them in. Sometimes I wonder if they were just bred to die.

I will always support local BC rescue, but at the same time, I will save who I know I can place without a big 'threat' of not getting a local dog adopted. These three pups wouldn't be competing with a lot of our local dogs, as let's face it, someone who would want to adopt a full border collie probably isn't going to go for a pit, a lab mix or a rotti type (we we have overflowing on our own).

Sigh. Rescue hurts the soul.

5 comments:

Wendy Hamilton said...

animal cruelty is universal and accepted by and large.(some cultures much worse than others)
horrible how heartless our species can be.
Hurts the soul alright.

Anonymous said...

I agree Emily...someone who wants a specific breed will look for a specific breed...It would be great if someone could home these four pups for the interim...you know that a purebred border collie will generally find a home with a border collie type person.

.someone once said to me...'Why people in Victoria want to bring rescue dogs in from Taiwan or the States is beyond me.' Can you imagine that a person does not realize that suffering knows no borders!!!

If we did not already have two dogs we would be on board for one of those pups. It makes me sick!
cheryl

Anonymous said...

Black dogs have a stigma in Taiwan as unlucky..black dogs with white feet even worse..I saw that on Animal Planet..so if dogs are coming over from Taiwan perhaps these should get priority..just a thought..having a Border Collie and knowing how amazing they are just breaks my heart to know they won't have a life...
Cheryl K

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for a border collie for awhile now, but refuse to buy from a breeder...if these dogs are in fact coming to BC I would love to find out more.

Anonymous said...

Gee i think my post went to space ' but any ways isn't there any thing we can do 'bring them to BC ? or help ' this makes me sad deeply to the core' i am so angry' but this doesn't help' ihave nothing to cheer about after seeing this' sorry' but i "hate ' it' Polly b