Monday, November 12, 2012

Suzie thinks she's Staying :(

Most of the fosters that come here seem to understand we're only part of the journey they are on. They get attached so far that they live here, but most of them don't bond, especially since they aren't here for a long period of time. However, there are a few dogs that seem to think we're family very quickly.

For whatever reason, Suzie has decided she is mine and my sister's dog and though she isn't shy around other people, she doesn't want anything to do with them -call it bit of avoidance, but she's definitely not fearful. She's a very loyal, focused dog who likes her world kept small.

We had a nice homecheck last night and she let the possible adoptees pet her up, but more as a "Fine then, if I must." We're hoping they might want to take her for an afternoon to see how she reacts without me around, and to see if she'll warm up. Knowing she was a different dog almost entirely at her old foster home, we need to make sure whoever she goes home with is someone she can bond with.

I understand rescue saying "But you're dog experienced" to me, but it wasn't even 5 minutes before she jumped on the couch with me. I didn't bribe her with cookies. Lemon was even snuggling with me. So, I'm not too sure about her and the match, but to be completely fair, she's glue to me, and I need to get out of the picture before I can see if she'll bond with someone else.

Regardless, she's a nice little foster dog, so I don't mind having her for awhile if that's what it takes to find her special home. I just hope she can get over losing us and bond to a new home quickly. I know it took Zephyr awhile to bond to his new family -but he was here 3 months-. Ren took awhile too (yet another Taiwanese dog).

Her home will come. If this isn't her home/she goes for an afternoon and doesn't come out of her shell with them, I'm thinking about having her hang out with either one of my co-workers, or with a friend of mine who just opened her own daycare, so that she gets used to being around other people and isn't quite so aloof with them. We shall see though. I'm hopeful they would like to take her for an afternoon to see if there is a match there.

It's always hard bringing a dog to a meet+greet when the dog doesn't want much if anything to do with the potential parents.

For now, she is learning husky 101: how to sleep.

Note quite a full husky-ball, but getting there. Most of the time she splays out on the dog bed with Lemon and Beckett gets shafted to the floor. Girls! They'll be one more in the family soon :)

More soon.
Emily Out

No comments: