Thursday, October 6, 2011

I Will Go Down with This Ship?

What happened to my awesome six-some? Heck, bring me back a week, as much as a couple of puppies is tiring, I'll take that over this feeling of near helplessness that has come my way.

Poor Diesel failed his adoption. I took him for a walk -does fine-, is fine being handled, is friendly with people, did fine with the dogs at TG. Fine with Aster too. Unfortunately, not so hot with the boys. 

Diesel is fufilling his own prophecies. He walks around like he's going to be mugged, and has his daggers ready. So of course, when you think there's a mugger around, someone is bound to turn into one. When a victim shows up, so does the aggressor.

All night I've been trying to get the boys settled, but so far no luck -where is THE BITCH when I need her. Right at this moment I really want Buster back. She'd have these teenage boys whipped into shape in minutes! Memo to self: second dog, I need a true dominant style female, most likely in the age range of 4-7.

Anyway Diesel has this energy that screams 'attack me', and he responds in kind. He has the scabs to prove it poor guy. And Hank, although the two were fine together at TG, has a hate out for Diesel's energy. He hates anyone that isn't balanced -although hasn't done anything at the daycare, even with the crazies-, but for whatever stupid reason, even after about 2 hours of pack walking, Diesel and Hank just won't mesh and its driving me up the wall. I haven't even been able to let them interact with each other, as a fight tries to break out as soon as they look at each other! And its bloody different each time I try to get them together. Sometimes Hank is the complete jerkwad and starts the growling, which starts Diesel lunging, which starts the snarling, etc, etc. And sometimes its the other way around. What the heck am I supposed to do? I don't even know whose the problem!

To be fair, Beckett's told me loud and clear whose the problem, and although Hank is nastier in terms of correcting (he turns into a completely different dog with Diesel here), Beckett doesn't have an issue in the world with Hank.

Even Beckett dislikes Diesel's energy, and although he will call off (cause he knows the full extent of his mother's power), I'm at a loss of what to do. I mean, I know Beckett will scrap, but at the same time, he's one of the most balanced dogs I know, so if he has problems with a new dog from the get go, I really have to take a step back and realize it probably isn't going to work.

So, I'm waving a white flag. I know its early in the game to give up, and I'm not going to give him to the SPCA or anything stupid like that, but I do, I give up. This is where I finish.

I won't give up on Diesel, and I won't give up on Hank, but I will give up on fostering the two of them together -unless the wonderful Lisa can't save me from this sinking ship. No pressure Lisa ;)

At the same time Diesel has so much going for him. He likes people, he's friendly with people, he walks nicely on a leash, he seems to be good with most female dogs, he learns things quickly -just not around my dogs anyway-. In my opinion, he really needs somewhere that can devote a lot of one-on-one time to him, or quite possibly, he might need some more time at TG to realize he is a dog, and not a victim. He's a fairly anxious guy, but the crate is already helping him to discover he has a safe place where he doesn't have to worry about being mugged.

Okay, still waving that little white flag. And hoping things are better in the morning.

1 comment:

Jean said...

Oh Emily, I feel your pain - there is no shame in waving the white flag and saying "I don't think this is going to work". Hopefully tomorrow will look better, and/or a solution will be found. Hang in there! (and Diesel, quit being a jerk!)