Friday, August 10, 2012

No Couch for You!

Ah, you can never truly take pampered out of a Chihuahua who has (most likely) been a spoiled little brat at some point.

Hanna is a great little dog, -she is pretty quiet, she isn't overly needy but will put the bug-eyes on to try to woo you to fuss over her. She knows she's tiny and cute and for the most part indepedent. But with her newfound 'good life', she's decided the couch should belong solely to her and people. She started with guarding the couch from Lemon a day or two ago and got her little Chihuahua butt promptly handed to her. After screaming like the world was going to end she figured out she can make faces at Lemon but she better not actually pick anything with her. So, there was peace.

However, today, Hanna's picked a new victim: Beckett. Snapped the big guy right in the nose and of course, Beckett being Beckett, he went 'okay, I won't even go near the couch then.' Too bad little miss six pounds! I gave her one chance, when I called Beckett over for a pet she did it again, despite a small correction. So Hanna learnt: you mess with Beckett, you answer to a force worse than Lemon! You answer to: the foster mum! That person you thought was so great... maybe not so much now...

She's been sulking for awhile now, but I can tell she's not sulking cause I hurt her physically or anything, but her ego is bruised. So, for the rest of the night she's couch-evicted. Too bad, I don't care about her sob story. Rules are rules. You don't share, you don't get to participate. Once a dog gets over the fact that there are in fact rules and consequences for not following them, they do really well. It's the ones that were most likely spoiled only dogs in an old home that have the hardest time accepting 'rules'.

There's a good chance Hanna will probably be adopted into a 'spoiled only dog' kind of home though which is really fine for who she is. Her homecheck went very well, and despite my reservation that Hanna might find downtown a lot to handle Hanna LOVES downtown. She was so happy to be off the farm and into civilization. All the people and traffic didn't bother her one bit, instead, I think she was excited by it all. She strained to see in shop windows, walked over gutters, didn't care when busses came zipping along beside us. She doesn't better in downtown than I do!

I'll know more in a couple days if the adoption will go through. There's an application or two waiting around, but having seen Hanna so thrilled about downtown we'll wait on those and see if this is 'her one'.

In other small funny news, after more than thirty foster dogs I've discovered another 'first'. I have a habit of not closing the bathroom door all the way when I take a bath so the small bathroom doesn't steam up. Well, yesterday Hanna decided to come join me!?!?! I thought maybe she didn't know it was full so in a rush I took her out of the tub only to have her jump right back in! Maybe she liked it because it was warm water? (She hasn't seemed too interested in the lake.) After the second time I decided the door was best left closed. I prefer my baths alone :)

No pictures of Hanna today, but here's one of Lemon and I, being the looney tunes we are.

No comments: