Sunday, August 19, 2012

Uh-Oh... I've got another Trunk!

On Friday we picked up Truffle, who a retriever mix from Taiwan. Although there was a lot of fuss made about how shy she was, I haven't seen a lot of shyness. She is curious, she is wanting to be with people, she is food-driven to the extreme, she handles herself well in big crowds and enjoys being dotted on. She isn't confident in herself yet, but that's a different issue than being shy (though the two do go hand-in-hand). And... I think I might be in love with her.

About this time last year I was fostering Trunk and had the same thing happen. In almost every way Trunk was MY dog, we matched perfectly, became insync and at times it's like we shared a brain. I knew I could give Trunk a good home, she liked Beckett, Beckett liked her, but as the month went on and I kept saying no to applications I knew in my gut though I could give Trunk a fantastic home, I was probably not her home. As good as Trunk was with other dogs, as much of my dog that she was I would always have other dogs around (it's part of my work) and there would always be someone that stood in the way of mine and her relationship. She deserved someone who was HERS. Another dog or two sure, but not my revolving door. It takes a different personality to truly enjoy living here full-time with all the comings and goings. To this day I miss Trunk, but I know I did what was best by Trunk and I let her go.

At least this time around with Truffle, I see it, but I know what will happen beforehand. No matter how much in love I fall with this dog, she deserves something different. Not necessarily better, but different. I admit though, I might go through a lot of applications before I find her family because in the back of my mind, I am their competition. I'm a solid 8/10, but I'm looking for that best family for her. The PERFECT family. I always look for awesome families, but this time, it's just a little bit more. An 'extra mile' family. I have the feeling Truffle would love to have some kids too.

In a nutshell Truffle is super-duper sweet, a velcro dog who loves to follow you around, and a soft dog who in general would much rather play with small dogs than big dogs, though she is social with all. Cats, kids and farm animals -she loves them all. She loves to play ball, and likes to swim (though she isn't too sure about waves yet!) I've had her off-leash already and she's reliable to boot! She bonds very closely with her person and is really that soft personality people think of when they think 'Golden Retriever'. At the same time she is fun and goofy.

Some pictures over the last few days:












I have some videos to upload tonight, so more tomorrow. We're all a little tired from our morning out, so it's time for a nap! I look forward to enjoying Truffle as long as I have her :) Each and every foster I find things to enjoy about, but once in awhile you get a foster you REALLY bond with. I'm both excited and somewhat sad about having another experience like Trunk.

Maybe I'll see about tracking down an update for Trunk. Seeing the updates make it all the more worthwhile knowing they are having amazing lives with their new families.

If you've got an update, send it in :)
Emily Out

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

she is a beauty,
Is she from Taupa?
I am sure lots of people will be interested in adopting her.
I would .. If i could.

Emily said...

Truffle isn't from TUAPA. Unfortunately over the last couple of months different head volunteers have taken over at TUAPA and aren't doing any more adoption to Canada!?! (Poor babies). Still, there are small groups across Taiwan that do send to Canada. Truffle is where Migo is from. I actually find her rescue even more thorough than TUAPA in screening/health upkeep, etc, and that's no small feet as TUAPA was amazing with that too.

Sheila said...

If we had a bigger house...

Anonymous said...

LisaB asked if I had read your blog and since I hadn't lately took a moment to. I know I am in love with Milah. Both she and Mitchell have come into my home with ease and have brought so much laugher every day. I feel a bond to her and want to have her stay furever but is it fair. She doesn't seem to mind being 1 of 5 right now and 1 of 4 is not much different. But is that the best for her or my own 3 who share me so often with fosters. Sometimes my girls seem to be bothered by it but this time, they have taken it in stride because these two are so respectful I think. Charlee, who is usually the hardest to win over, is playing with them. Oh the dilemma! As Lisa has said, the indecision is sometimes the decision but oh my heart is breaking. Gloria

Anonymous said...

Emily,

I have a neighbour (2 doors down) who has been looking for a dog...and loves Truffles. She is sending an application in. She doesn't have any other dogs but Truffles will probably be over to our place to play with TG alumni Becky and Keisha on most days. Keep Julia in mind:)

Emily said...

I'm with you Gloria! My own dogs LOVE the comings and goings of other dogs. When we don't have fosters they honestly don't know what to do with themselves. In a way they are 'working dogs', helping the lost dogs find themselves in ways. They do a lot more work than me! I know I can offer Truffle a great life, but I don't know whether or not that's what she'd love best. I do know that my dogs are amazing role models to her, and that she can learn a lot from them and that she might need a few weeks or a month or two to continue on with the confidence.

It's harder today as her and Lemon have grown a close bond very quickly too. Despite daycare and numerous other dogs to socialize with, the two just play and play with each other. It's like Lemon is the exact dog Truffle needs. I don't know yet if that means she's the dog she wants to be with forever, or if she's the dog she needs to learn from before going on to the next step. So difficult. At least with Trunk I went through 5-6 different applications that just didn't fit. I'm hoping when 'the' application shows up I'll know it. But it's so hard. I know when I let Trunk go it was for her betterment but she wasn't as attached to Beckett as to me. Oooo the dilemna! I just have to make a choice one way or the other and stick to it. But 'the' app better show up soon! (PS: There is a Truffle look-alike with the same rescue, just a more active, lab-type personality.)