Thursday, October 25, 2012

Kahlua finds His Home

The amount of great applications for both Kahlua and Megan have been amazing, especially as we are entering what usually is a slow adoption time of year with the weather getting colder.

Sometimes an application just stands out amongst the crowd and you find yourself saying "This is the family." It usually has nothing to do with the house or the 'space' they will live, but more of a sense of the personality of the people. I went through a ton of applications for Dickory before I found her 'one', but I absolutely knew it when I saw it. I had the same thing happen with a few dogs, and in the case of multiple applications I always try to find the app my gut is drawn to. Playing match-maker, it's hard! Sometimes I'd like to clone a dog to place them in two or three homes!

Even though there were three applications for Kahlua I really liked, it was obvious to me when this particular one came along that it was his. So, homecheck set up and as usual with dog people, I probably talked much too long about much too much, but in the end we got a great match. Kahlua will be going home on Sunday after his family is back from a pre-scheduled trip to Vancouver. I am hopeful that his other two great applications might consider one of his siblings from Taiwan, or possibly two of the other pups Ocean Dog Rescue has in local foster homes. One of the other families will meet Kahlua tomorrow night to see how a shy dog is and whether they would mind working with one. Working with a shy dog is oh so rewarding, they bond so closely to their handlers. They might never be social butterflies, but really, wouldn't you rather a dog that wants to hang out with you more than anybody else on the planet?

Kahlua's Couch Shot
I'm making headway on Megan's wack of applications. She's got such great ones, but I admit, I'm totally biased because she's close to what I'd consider adopting myself. I know she'd rather be an only dog -I can just see that in her personality, wanting HER person to bond with-. We'll be having her first homecheck on Monday which to me is the 'gut' application. That application when I have everybody's app open that I keep coming back to. Luckily, Megan's got a look-alike named Maggie up at Turtle Gardens, so there's the possibility of two families being chosen :). If Maggie isn't scooped by next bus run, I know who to ask to come down.

I almost feel like an employer screening candidates for a single job. Except a dog is more than a job, it's a lifelong partnership. Sometimes I have to take a big breath, clear my head and just tackle it with my heart. All the logic in the world doesn't make something right.

On another small note, in all the hub-bub of Megan and Kahlua, Momo is still without interest. But that's okay, let the flurry of applications for the pups pass. She will find her people and is a sweet, cuddly yet adventurous companion. With her, I can see her go almost anywhere, she's just that flexible. I really enjoy having her comedic nature around.

Momo's Couch Shot
More after the weekend. If anyone would like to network Momo, it would be much appreciated :)

Emily Out

No comments: