Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Enjoying the Peace

Yesterday I had the day off from work, and somehow managed not to have a lick of required homework for my Master's degree either. Jinks burnt/tore her pads on the hot cement since it's been so warm out over the weekend, so she's on house arrest for a few days to not damage them further. Playing paranoid mum. No infections, limps or further injuries here!

I'm cleaning her pads every night and they look good, but better safe than sorry. Completely healed before we start the crazy stuff!

Otherwise, we've been enjoying the little fluffy man. He's going in sometime this week to have his teeth checked out. He's a good guy, I don't mind having him for awhile. When you get used to have 2 week foster dogs for the longest time, it starts to feel funny having them past that though!

Here are some pictures of "Floof" (that's what we call him and what he seems to answer to. For the record I won't remember in a year that his real name is Coleman).

Getting into a Mud Puddle

Could you picture a happier face!

Happy guy, needs to put on a little weight yet.

With a Californian foster comes the part of "importing" fostering I try to get away from: the pleas for more help, the pressure to do more, save more, move for "QUANTITY over QUALITY". Just because I could shove 12 little chi mixes in here to foster doesn't mean I will.

I try to stay out of the politics and concentrate on the dogs physically living with me and how I can serve them the best on their way to a new home. Regardless, all the contact from rescue people wanting help with the California situation makes me miss my solitary bubble I've got going on. As of lately there are only two or three of us fostering for TG on the island and we keep to ourselves (two of us are trainers, one an experienced foster home), we usually network on our own. We act as one woman shows with the backdrop of TG and the real one-woman show Yvette at base. For Ocean Dog Rescue, I am literally the only one on the island, so I screen my own adopters, check through my own applications, etc. It's only Jerrad and I like it that way. I pick my own and don't get pressured into things. For Turtle Gardens them enough to send me good dogs within our parameters, for Taiwanese dogs I get videos, pictures, bios, more information that I would ever need, and get to pick out of dozens of dogs who comes next. The odd one I'll get that has been waiting in Vancouver months with no interest. We do things our own way and focus on what really matters: the dogs and finding their families.

It's peaceful dealing with dogs and not people. It's the people that make rescue tricky.

But what's not tricky... a good run at the park :)

For some smiles, some pictures of the gang at the park before Jinks hurt herself.

Jinker Stinker

Coleman Playing with the Dog that Ultimately Saved his Life.
The Lemon
Happy after a run in the Park (Jinks just needs to be dramatical)



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, laughing at jinks, that is exactly how sawyer looks after a hard play...he also hurt his pads last week, tore one quite badly, and hurt a couple others(running around the tennis courts for a ball-being 1/2 border collie he just goes hard all the time)...he bled for a while. I cleaned them for a few days and put coconut oil on the bad one, and a week later completely healed up...hope jinks heals up quick...

King and The Girls said...

Coconut oil rocks! Have a look at this site

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/the-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil/

Emily said...

I bought some coconut oil today :) Beckett and Jinks will definitely be getting some, might splurge on Lemon too.

Anonymous said...

Hi Just a thought i saw coconut oil in LOndon drugs 9 .00 $ for quiet a bit .