Friday, April 12, 2013

Riley

Riley is a good boy, I haven't seen any of the crankiness that his previous family saw, though I make sure he gets plenty of quality rest away from the rest of the gang. I can see how he could get cranky. He's the type of dog who likes to find a secluded spot and have "me" time when he is tired, but is glued to your side when he is awake. Can you blame the poor guy for wanting to sleep in peace and quiet? I sure hope whoever adopts him will continue with the crate. Riley really enjoys his crate with the big comfy pillow. It is his escape, where he can completely turn off the world, where he doesn't have to worry if someone is going to come poke him, prod him, pull his ears, etc. 

Since Riley is quite slim and has very runny poo we're changing his food up today, so hopefully he will be able to put on a bit of weight. He is about 60 pounds and should be at least 65, maybe closer to 70? (A very fit 70, he's almost all muscle). I'm never quite sure with these bigger guys. Regardless, he needs a layer of fat over his scrawny teenage frame.

He is very active, will need about 2 hours of exercise a day. He is a "quality" time dog, in the sense that he is a happy camper to be away for up to 8 hours a day as long as he gets two to three hours of focused time on him. He jogs well, he plays fetch phenomenally, he has great recall and really good dog social skills, though is no wimp and will definitely not be the submissive recipient if someone wants to beat him up. That's actually a good thing. Most people aren't pushovers either! He starts nothing, gives clear signals on his boundaries. He hasn't seem phased by the barn cats, so I think he could live with a dog-savvy cat.  He would suit a single person, especially a single man to a tee. But really, he would suit any environment that doesn't have children in the home, or children over, or if there are visiting children that Riley will have his crate to retreat to.

Here are some shots of Riley from our fetch walk yesterday. The little guys go on their little walk with Jerrad before I get home from work and then we take these two our for some serious ball time.

Fending off the Collie

Faithful retriever.

Launch! (Dock Diving Prospect?)

Tongue in face.

In Profile

Learning to Wait before I Throw

Mid-Air Catch
Riley's Wish-List

  • Two hours of good exercise a day, preferably off-leash (I've got good recall I promise)
  • Someone to throw my ball for me, over and over again!
  • Someone that will put their focus into me, so that I am their baby.
  • No younger children in my home, though I promise I am nice to kids outside the home.
  • I need a high quality diet without poultry or grain since I have a sensitive stomach.
  • I would love to do any training that you would love to do. I have good commands but could use a little more in the manners department my foster mum says. (What, I love her so much I just have to jump on her at times). I would excel in agility, rally-o, maybe even dock diving, even if you want to do it just for fun! I will have fun with anything you have fun with. 
Riley is house-trained, crate-trained and fine at home for up to eight hours a day. He is intensely loyal and lots of fun. He is looking for his best friend, someone who will give him love, but also give him space. He requires a no-kid home.

We have a homecheck tonight for Neela, one of GG's left over apps, so we'll see how that goes. She is doing really well, coming out of her shell lots. She likes other people more than she likes me (I have rules, it sucks). She is not used to people calling the shots. 

For now, I'm enjoying snuggling my Floof. He better be adopted soon. He's getting much too comfortable here. Starting to think he belongs here... 

THAT is when it gets hard to let them go, once they have the idea that they're staying. 
Please Floof, get an application soon or they'll have to rip you out of my hands.

Emily Out

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Riley is a beautiful dog.
So great that you can foster and find a good & suitable home for him.
Beats the spca route!!!!
Wendy