Saturday, April 13, 2013

Rainy Day Adoption

The homecheck last night was a rocking success. Neela was very sweet and gentle with the kids, she instantly liked mum, she showed both the snuggly side of her, the slightly cautious side of her, and the really silly side of her. The family is great, with enough time devoted to dog without children around that I definitely wanted to match this family with an ideal family dog.

The kids and dogs combo has a bad rap, and indeed it needs lots of solid management, on both sides of the fence, but I think it's truly a good combination in a home that will put the required focus and training into the dog and KID(S)! (Which this home definitely will.) No matter how busy you are, you make room for the things you love and if done right, both the dog and kid benefit from the relationship.

So they were approved to adopt, with the condition that they would have to meet any dog in person to see the match with the kids before an official adoption would be made. IE: No dog would be sent overly directly from Taiwan for them. They will also sign up for some obedience classes, to make sure to start off on the right foot.

So, I get an e-mail back saying they would like to adopt Neela. I kind of saw it coming from the homecheck, even though they wanted to be pre-approved. But they are a nice, smart family who values the temperament of the dog over the color, so despite the fact that they fell in love with GG's looks, they know a good match when they see one.

Yay! So Neela will be going home tonight. They're one of those families that I ask "When would you like to pick her up?" and they say "Are you home now? I'll come right away!"

Here's a shot from the homecheck:
Neela says: "I like you very much :)"
 I'm very happy GG could not just bring her family together, but helped Neela find her family too!
Thanks GG! I will have my own toys soon and stop stealing Jinks'.
On the bright side, despite the hail and crazy weather out this way, Jinks has decided to be a peaceable chewer today, even though she only got half an hour of exercise. Thank you knuckle bone! Also, I'm glad she's growing up. Every day just a little more chill to live with. And I mean a REALLY little bit.

No comments: