Thursday, December 29, 2011

Fosters for the New Year

Well, I suppose BEFORE the New Year. Allie and her new accomplice are making their way to Canada today, and will arrive tomorrow.

Allie was one day away from being euthanized. I saved her without really realizing I'd saved her (my contacts are SNEAKY!) Her temp boarding mum in CA has said that Allie is shy/fearful towards people, but is much more comfortable around other dogs. It's most likely she was a puppy mill dog :(. She's had litters -thankfully she is only 2, so she should, at most, have 3 litters. Her 'brothers' that were euthanized were most likely her sons :( (Things you find out afterwards right!). Still, I'm glad I saved her. Funnily enough, I'm considered 'good'/'great' working with the shy guys, so maybe it was fate that pulled some strings. "Emily, this one NEEDS you." ---don't they all!


I'm both excited and a little bit terrified to see how this pretty little dog really is. Whether she'll come around quickly, or whether she'll take quite awhile to warm up. She has potential home(s) in the wings, but I won't place her until I have at the very least a few days to gauge what she needs in a home, and how experienced they should be. On the brighter side, she's small-ish (22 pounds), pretty, and apparently fairly easy going. If she has chips stacked against her, at least she has a lot going in her favour!

Tagging along with Miss Allie, is a Chi (I'm turning into a softie). I got a message from one of my contacts when she was at the shelter saying: "There's a lovely little Chi mix they're taking into the back (to euthanize) now. If I pay for him, will you take him? I need an answer ASAP."

So... I did what all soft people do. I said. "Okay, save the bugger." I was just crossing my fingers I wasn't taking on an old, injured, grouchy, idiot dog. There are A LOT of Chis coming from pretty much everywhere now, so they aren't as easy to adopt as a year or so ago (not that it matters, as they still get adopted, but I do like to choose CA dogs that I KNOW will find great homes fast. Dogs that don't really compete with many local dogs.Its my small way to avoid the brunt of rescue politics.) That said, Chihuahuas are easy to foster! Having an idiot Chi is manageable. (Hey, I have one already don't I :P).

So, this is "Alphie". I don't really like the name, so will be changing it when he gets here. He is a three year old male. This is the only picture he would have ever gotten at Devore.

Yeah, okay... Mr. Free won't be 'free' for long I'm sure, (they NEVER are) but being the only lifeline to a dog gets to you! Depending on his energy levels, I might have a possible home in the wings, but we'll see. I'm not sure if there's some pug in there (the slightly bug eyes), or some doxie, so he'll be a mystery when he gets here. Thankfully almost all of them end up looking better than their crappy pics, which helps!  

Quick update: both Allie and Alphie are going to become Island Dogz, so that they get better exposure and so I don't have to bear the brunt of any possible medical issues. Hopefully there aren't any, but I admit, I make a better foster mum than 'rescuer'. I don't handle the 'unknown' well.

Well, today is 'finish off the fencing' day :) By tonight, we should have at last 90% complete! Better be, because we're going to be a full house soon!

No comments: