Thursday, December 22, 2011

Post #100 -All Moved in, and Another Saved (#20?)

Pictures of the new place will be up when the chaos of unpacking is complete!. But, I just wanted to let everyone know I'm officially moved in, and come the new year will be primed for fostering :) I've got my first Ocean Dog Rescue Foster in the works (fanaggled by my boss ;) ). Won't post him until he's on his way, but that will most likely be Jan 8th. Whether anyone will come before then, I'm not 100%. But that's okay, as much as its kind of lonely without the extra furry bodies -and do I have room to stash more-, its probably best to take it slow.

We still have to get the fence up, which will hopefully be done before Christmas, but besides that, we're good to go :). I'm looking for a 'monthly dog' (IE: daycare services from me) to compensate for not having a roommate, but we might have to resort to a roommate anyway. The price for our place is amazing, but its still four bedrooms, so it isn't cheap.

But, in all the chaos, I somehow found my way back to California dogs (accidentally this time). This little girl (below) was brought in with 4 other dogs confiscated from a person who had too many. Ironically, and sadistcally, 3 of the 5 were euthanized almost instantly for being 'shy' or showing disinterest in people. I followed their thread and by-now famous words of "I could have found him a home so easily!" turned into someone asking if I'd take this girl, and being out of touch, Jen went ahead and said 'okay' as her other option was to be euthanized. She's right, I would have said okay. When another rescue can take them, or when I know they have a few days, or when I know there's a plan, I don't worry, I don't step in and run my yap. But for the ones where its me or nothing, its SO hard. I just try to stay out of the way for as many as possible. But this girl... I would have said yes.

Out of five, only her and one of her brothers (who looked like he should be on the cover of a Disney movie) made it out alive. How very sad that they were taken away from an owner that wanted them, only to be euthanized. Although I do think there should be limits, I think its utterly barbaric to take a dog away basically just to kill it.

Anyway, I could blab on and on. But this is Allie. (I didn't know her name was Allie before I saved her, which is kind of funny because I have a good friend named Allie. Maybe fate played a hand.)

Allie's Intake Picture at Devore -one of the highest kill shelters in Cali. They have 5 days to find a reprieve in adoption/rescue or else that's it. No matter how cute, personable, or purebred. 5 days is 5 days. You get less if you're shy, scared, sick, sneezing, or trembling.

Luckily, Allie seems to have cleaned up amazingly well. This is a picture from where she is being boarded until she can come to Canada. She looks like Adam and Lemon combined! CUTE!!!!
I have a couple of applications left over from Adam that I'll hit up, and I have a funny feeling she won't stay with me long -if at all, she might be adopted before she even gets to Canada-. Unfortunately, she will probably be the last from Cali for quite some time. Money is tight -a little too tight-. Thank goodness for free chocolate. :) I love the holidays.

More pics from the homefront soon! For now, I have my eyes on a TGer. But I've been around the block long enough to know nothing is for sure until they're in my hot little foster home.

Night,
Emily

No comments: