Sunday, January 1, 2012

2011 In Review

My first year fostering. Sometimes crazy, sometimes making me want to go crawl underneath a rock, most always a rollercoaster, and some seriously great dogs made for a fantastic ride. I've been fostering since March, 2011, so haven't hit a year mark, but let's ring in the new year with a look back anyway.

This Year's Foster Count: 19
(I won't count the three new ones that came in yesterday. They can be 2012 dogs :) )

Fosters for Turtle Gardens: 11
Fosters for Island Dogz: 3
Fosters I brought in for Myself: 3
Misc Fosters: 2

Dogs Saved but never Fostered: 5
Dogs Temp Fostered: 5

The Dogs: Fostered

01. Tucker (Turtle Gardens)
Tucker was a joy of a first foster. Cuddly, super dog-friendly and altogether the entire package any lucky adopter was looking for, he found his home with a veternarian in Victoria, BC. The day we got him he was giving us kisses! Awesome boy. Yvette knew to send me a good one to get me hooked!

Most remembered: Playing with his Stuffed Dino.
Most likely to: Run Away with a Perfect Stranger.
Most loved: Nearly suffocating me with snuggles.
02. Yayis (Cozumel Humane Society)
Length of Stay: 4 days

Yayis was rescued off a garbage dump in Mexico. Probably the most gorgeous dog I've fostered so far. I didn't know her for very long, but she was more of Jerrad's dog for the time we did have her.

Most remembered: Trying to win Beckett back after telling him off the first time they met.
Most likely to: Learn from other Dogs' Mistakes.
Most loved: Fresh green grass.

03. May Victoria Adoptables
Length of Stay: Not quite a month

May was from California, and probably started my Chihuahua addiction. She really was a lab in an 8 pound body. Sassy, firecracker, diva, she was that and more. I got to meet up with May a little while ago, and no surprise she's running the household! She is everything people love and hate about small breed dogs. Attitude! I saw a shirt in the store the other day that completely sums may up: "I don't have an attitude problem, you have a problem with my attitude!"
Most remembered: Being so shy/scared/shaking when I picked her
up, and once she hit the house she was instantly a diva.
Most likely to: Pick a fight with a big dog.
Most loved: Being too big for her britches.

04. Honey Turtle Gardens
Length of Stay: Not Quite a Month

Honey and her sister Toast -who I fostered later on- were feral, alligator-biting puppies. In foster care Honey figured out she was supposed to be a TERRIER! After about a week a lightbulb went off in her head that she was supposed to terrorize things, and she continues to do a great job in her new home with big sister TerrierX Hani. The two even came back here for a few days and had a sleepover. Good girls, but sometimes you wish you didn't open Pandora's box! With Honey I learnt two things:
1) Shy dogs don't stay shy for long here. 2) Shy dogs are usually easier to deal with then the dogs they become once the shell is shed. To-may-to To-Mah-to?

Most remembered: Squashing May when she had enough of the bratty Chi.
Most likely to: Never return to being a fearful misfit.
Most loved: Eating underwear. The Chew-MACHINE!

05. Tine Island Dogz
Length of Stay: 3 weeks

Tine was my first and only husky foster to date (although I must admit, I think its time for another!). A goofy, needy, skinny ball of husky loving, he made me realize what I love and hate about the breed. I love the looks, the independance (which this guy didn't really have :P), the attitude and the challenge. I can do without the ceaseless energy. I'm more of a middle-aged husky kind of woman. That said, he was a pleasure to have. Cute as a button, got me active, and made humble more than once by Mr. Beckett, Tine was adopted by a great family. I talked to them recently and they are undergoing lots of obedience work to work through leash aggression with their teenage rebel. Commitment is key! And a realization that when you're good-looking you tend to get away with more!

Most remembered: Walking the Devonian Trails every other day.
Most likely to: Jump the fence to see what's on the other side.
Most loved: Trying to shake a paw. ENDLESS shake-a-paw.

06. Toast Turtle Gardens
Length of Stay: Not Quite a Month

Toast, Honey's sister was a lesson for me. Namely, don't have any expectations just because a sibling flips like a switch to not being fearful. Toast drove me a bit insane I must admit. As cute and nice as she was, she didn't have Honey's zest to learn, or complete Terrier brain. She turned over many new leaves, and who could deny she might be the cutest dog I've ever fostered, but it was a trying process. Everything was new, and Toast, although loveable isn't exactly the smartest cookie in the jar. My favorite thing about Toast though was that she bounced back from everything, so I didn't have to worry about hurting her feelings. Toast was the easy-going sister. Honey the superstar. (Although I'm pretty sure on a livability basis, I'd probably adopt Toast over Honey :P. Intelligent dogs mean more work!) Toast picked her own mum and sister when they dropped by for a meet+greet. She had many applications, but it was love at first sniff! After the meet and greet she whined by the gate for now sister Noon to come back. So, I phoned Yvette, got the go-ahead, and Toast was adopted that night! Dogs seem to know when they've met their people :) (Or canine siblings ;) ).
Most remembered: Jumping into a Bush full of Bees -with ME on the other end of the leash!
Most likely to: Forget what happened two minutes ago.
Most loved: Her Sister Noon. She had 5 awesome applications, but the minute she met Noon,
she (and I) knew who she had to go home with!


07. Xena Turtle Gardens
Length of Stay: Not Quite a Month

Xena taught me two important lessons. First, do not take on two shy/insecure/fearful dogs at the same time. They just rub off on each other. That makes progress minimal. And secondly, she and I really should have had a Fido ad together. If I was a dog, I would be Xena. Loyal to those she knows, sketchy with strangers, fiercly independant, too smart for her own good, an annoying streak, and a zest for steak and chicken, Xena knew how to be her own dog. She came alive on the agility field, and showed off her smarts. She was a night-owl, sock hoarder, and McDonalds bag licker, and everything done with just a little bit of sarcastic sass. Xena lives on a farm in Victoria now, with Annie, another TG dog, a fleet of sheep and a bunch of chickens. (Ironically, I am now living on a farm too!)


Most remembered: Coming Alive on Agility Nights.
Most likely to: Completely ignore me to do her own thing.
Most loved: Creating nests of socks in her bed at 1am.

08. Evee Island Dogz
Length of Stay: Just over a Month

Evee. The most happy-go-lucky dog I've ever met in my life. There is not a single thing that gets this girl down. She's happy. ALL. THE. TIME. That shouldn't drive a person crazy, but it drove me crazy. and it drove me even crazier that I really didn't have anything to complain about, and was still be driven crazy. I guess one can be happy when they've finally got a home, some friends, daycare, and living the good life, but at least look sorry for yourself every once in awhile! That said, she was really great to have around (and see leave ;) ). She got herself a great sports home, and is now working on agility and flyball with her whippetX sister. Evee was from TUAPA shelter in Taiwan, and would start my browsing of the Taiwanese dogs.


Most remembered: Playing with Jersey the Great Dane.
Most likely to: Be Cast as Santa's Little Helper for Live Action Simpson's Movie.
Most loved: Being loved.

09. Gio Turtle Gardens
Length of Stay: Not quite a month

Gio, the dog Beckett wasn't too fond of. Such a mush-puppy! If Gio and May could have switched bodies it would make more sense, but if May was in Gio's body, she might have killed somebody by now, so its probably a good thing they aren't. What I loved most about Gio was his softness, his big head poking your hand to pet him, the way he would creep up on the couch thinking he was so sneaky about being a big cuddle butt. Gio the Just. And Gio the needy. But such a great boy. My only regret with this boy was that I didn't have him long enough to start working on city skills -busy streets, lots of people- which he could have used for his Vancouver home. Oh, and the other thing that still bugs me is that I sent him over to go to a new home and the new home bailed! Oh well, he got an amazing home anyhow, but it makes me a little sad knowing he left when he shouldn't of. Beckett said: "WOOOOOOO, he's gone!!! And that's my MOMMA!" ---Beckett only wants me when there's competition. Males.
Most remembered: Sticking his big head under my arms while I was typing.
Most likely to: Act like Chicken Little and the sky is falling.
Most loved: Being loved.

10. Buster Turtle Gardens
Length of Stay: 5 days

Oh Buster. What a five days we had. Buster is probably the toughest, and possibly sweetest foster we've had. She bit Jerrad and he had to go to the hospital (we quickly discovered she has night blindness, as the second she realized who she bit she was very apologetic about it!). She escaped from her collar once, only to come back an hour later to me going more than just a little insane. Of course Yvette was like 'don't worry, don't worry' and I'm going 'OMG, I lost my foster!' Thank goodness she came back! Buster shared the couch with me, taught the youngsters manners and was ALWAYS ready to go for her one hour walk in the morning. She'd get her 10:00am zoomies in the yard, and was learning to accept interaction outside. Inside she was one dog, but outside, without a leash, she returned to her feral/wild state. 6 years of surviving on her own couldn't be dealt with so quickly -and possibly never. Sadly, Buster was adopted by a great family, but got loose about two weeks afterwards, and has been missing since. There are still Buster sitings, so what I ask for every night for Christmas, is that somehow she finds her way home, so that she doesn't have to endure another Christmas outside with no family to care for her. Paws crossed Buster. You are one tough dog! But I know deep down, you'd rather be on the couch :)

Most remembered: The Interacting Session we had day three. Where I got you to smile outside. (Pic above)
Most likely to: Never get over the miserable life you've lead until this point.
Most loved: The couch, the 10am walk, that the food bowls were always full and on time.



11. Ren Island Dogz
Length of Stay: Just over a month

Ren, Ren, Ren. She's a Taiwanese dog like Evee, but man so different! Ren expected to be waited on hand and foot. If she didn't like something, she wasn't going to do it, and if she expected something, she was pretty darn demanding! I remember every day we had Ren, when we woke up at 6:30 we had to bring her crate to the door and dump her out of it. The alternative was trying to pull her out, which always ended in submissive peeing or a feast of snarling. Oh, and we did try letting her sleep until about 8:00am instead, but we had to do the same thing anyway. This girl was a "I like my 15 hours of beauty sleep thank you!". The other hillarious thing about Ren was that she played like a Tazmanian Devil when she first came, whirlwinding her way around the daycare and house with everyone giving her stares of "Uhhh.... we don't play that way." She eventually learned with the help of Dayo, Trunk and Beckett, but yeah, she was an oddball. Completely loveable, but an oddball! She was adopted in Nanaimo. Her new mum doesn't believe in crates, so at least she'll never have to try to pry Ren from her comfort to get her out to pee!

Most remembered: Dumping out of her Crate
Most likely to: Think I should Adopt her.
Most loved: Getting things the way she liked them.

12. Trunk Turtle Gardens
Length of Stay: Not Quite a Month

Ah Trunk, what's to say about Trunk that I haven't gushed about in previous blogs. Trunk is the one that got away. She has an amazing home, amazing dog brother and lots of beaches. Should I have kept Trunk: no. Did I want to keep Trunk: YES! I still miss this dog. If somehow an e-mail landed in my inbox that Trunk needed to be returned, I'd be all over that in a heartbeat, probably adopting her too. But its okay, things work out the way they're supposed to. Besides, Beckett apparently wanted a 12 pound furball. I'm not going to argue with fate. When you love something, let them go on to better things :) (unless you know, you adopt them, then you better keep them for better or worse!)
Most remembered: Being my constant side-kick, and the baby wrangler.
Most likely to: Be dog-napped by me.
Most loved: Be surrounded by dog friends.

13. Dayo Turtle Gardens
Length of Stay: On and off for a Month

Now known as Suhki, Dayo was my first and only puppy foster. He was 11 weeks when he came. In the transport (or sometime before they landed anyway) most of his siblings came down with Parvo. Luckily Dayo did not, so he was going to leave, but didn't, and ended up finishing his fostering down this way. I had a hard time getting Jerrad to let go of Mister Fluffypants, but we get to visit Suhki every couple of weeks now. Dayo will most likely sucker me into another puppy foster down the line. At 11 weeks he slept through the night, hardly had any accidents (maybe 2 in the 2+ weeks he was with us), and taught some of the daycare dogs some manners! He continues to excel in obedience :)

Most remembered: Eating Ants.
Most likely to: Be gushed over.
Most loved: Playing with Aster/Lemon, his BEST friend.

14. Chula & 15. Netty
Self-Saves from Baldwin Park Shelter
Length of stay: 1 1/2 months

Chula and Netty share the same story, and the same Canadian home, so its only fitting to throw them together. With weights of 5 and 8, they just make a Lemon together! Chula and Netty were saved from California when I made the fated 'turn' (not really a 'mistake') to post on Netty's picture (below) that I could find her a home in Canada. Fate took the rest from there. Eventually not only did I save Netty, but Chula came along, and so did Lexi -who went to foster with Allie-. These two are the sweetest Chihuahuas ever. They have attitude, but not "May" attitude. Chula is cuddly, Netty is independent. They now share a home together, with a bunch of foster cats and a mum that spoils them rotten. They waited awhile so their mum could move in, but how could I deny them a home together. From the minute they left the shelter together Chula tagged on to Netty's little speckled tail. Netty could probably care less. As shy/scared as she was in that shelter, (indeed, her papers have 'fearful' in at least 5 different places) not a bit of that shows now. I'm so happy for my happy endings. These girls would have been put to sleep if I hadn't of saved them.

CHULA
Most remembered: Kissing up to Jerrad.
Most likely to: Be scared of the big dogs.
Most loved: Sleeping in the people bed after her spay.

NETTY
Most remembered: Tap-dancing like a lunatic/trying to eat everybody's food!
Most likely to: Sit on. She dug herself nests in the blankets.
Most loved: Hitting on Hank the German Shep X (oh the flirty ears!)

16. Hank Turtle Gardens
Length of Stay: Approx 3 1/2 weeks

Good old trusty Hank. What wasn't there not to like. Low-key, no-fuss, do whatever you want him to do guy. Go for a four hour hike. Sure. Lounge around the house all day. Sure. By this time I've learned to trust Yvette to send me good dogs, so although I was skeptical that a big, teenage German ShepardX would fit in here (medium energy is good, high-energy, not so good), I have to say Hank impressed me. Not impressive though: wanting to tear Diesel's head off. That was a nightmare of a few days, but it all got settled. Hank found a great young couple that will take him sailing, for lots of walks, and he has a roommate dog as well to keep him nice and social (ironically, his housemate's name is Diesel!). The best part of Hank, was that he got to keep his name because his parents met up with two or three of my previous adopters who recognized him from the blog! Too funny. Tis a small world afterall.


Most remembered: Constantly telling Aster/Lemon off.
Most likely to: Say yes to whatever.
Most loved: Netty and Chula -the non-annoying dogs in the house!

17. Aster Turtle Gardens
Length of Stay: Forever. Foster-Failed :S

Sometimes I ask myself why the heck I adopted this brat, but although I put most of the blame on Beckett, I like that she infuriates me sometimes, that she's a handful, a challenge, but not so much so that I can't handle it. I wouldn't go so far to say that she's the intensity of a husky, but she's got attitude on her. That said, I couldn't have asked for a better cuddle partner, or jogger, or all around good companion. She started off rough here, with little social skills -her idea of a initiating play was mountng dogs' heads!- but she has come around quickly. It helps to have a big brother like Beckett. Now she sleeps like him in a tiny ball, walks like him, gives little 'Wooos' sometimes, and has even copied his marking......

She's my Lemon I'm turning into Lemonade. With more fosters to come she'll get even better with her social skills. With some more training she might make a good agility dog. For now, she's learning to walk off-leash (so far so good), getting a reliable recall and slowly learning how to sit. (It's harder with small dogs!) The next dog that I officially adopt will have to be a medium sized dog again, preferably husky X. Once Beckett goes, I refuse to be that 'small-dog' person. Besides, Lemon loves Great Pyrenese dogs, and other big fluffy dogs. If we see a big fluffy dog on our trails she's got to introduce herself with the biggest, flirtiest ears possible. Maybe she thinks she's a husky now?

Most remembered: Humping Beckett's Head.
Most likely to: Piss me off and get away with it.
Most loved: Playing with Suhki.

18. Adam
Self-Save from Baldwin Park, California
Length of Stay: 2 1/2 weeks.

Adam is from a high-kill shelter in CA. When I first saw his picture I said "No way he' go down, he's too frigging cute". So I see Adam's picture getting closer and closer to his 'last safe day' before they will most likely euthanize him, and I go 'fine, if it gets to that point, I'll save him'. Well, it got to that point. I saved him, he came to Canada, he fit in seamlessly in foster care -easiest transition I think I've ever had, minus Tucker maybe-, and played with both my dogs. For the first few days I wanted to keep him, but I knew he didn't have that 'something something' that makes them stick around forever. Besides, he already had 3 applications in the works! Adam is now Kona and lives a great life with lots of walks, playdates and fun. A long ways away from being euthanized. Although I'm very glad things seem to always work out, sometimes I wish something would backfire. Cause now I keep looking at pictures. Ugg. I can never truly win. But can you ever really win in rescue? (Well, I think Adam/Kona has!)

Most remembered: Picking up out of Jeneane's van.
Most likely to: Win a dog-food campaign.
Most loved: Being social with Beckett and Lemon.

19. Panda Turtle Gardens
Length of stay: 15 minutes.

Ahh Panda, I don't know whether I should even count you missy. But I will because you were sent down for me. Panda was adopted by her transporter, Mike. She made it known she'd found her home with Miika, and after going to pick her up and staying about half an hour it was clear she wasn't coming home with me. I didn't even get a picture of her. I do know that she has a zest for life, loves to cuddle and is an all around dream companion. She also goes to show that dogs know best. It isn't the money you have, the car you drive, the palace you live in. It's what kind of a life -and a stable life- you can give. I think Panda knew she was in good hands! Hopefully I'll get to see some of her in the new year.





Besides the dogs Fostered here, I've also Saved 5 from Euthanization in the States. Lexi, Kane, Kaiser, Lady and Chata were all saved with very little time left. All but Kaiser has found their forever home
 
Kaiser. Still waiting. He's a high-energy power breed teenager.
Unfortunately the types of people who want/can handle this combination
are seemingly few and far between. Hopefully he'll find his match soon.


 
Shy Kane, now Hugo, found perfect harmony with great parents and canine brother Leroy.


Lexi came with Chula and Netty. In an odd twist of fate, she was adopted by a family that had originally applied to adopt one of my co-worker's foster dogs. She now has her own little girl to dote upon.

Chata, now Jennie was adopted by the parents of Chula and Netty's mum. She is a spoiled rotten
baby and when she doesn't want to walk in the rain, she gets carried around in a purse!


Lady, Now Moo-Chi. Living it up with cat brother Oreo, and an awesome family. In the
summer, she'll become a Canadian camper exploring the wilderness (or just the RV ;) ).

We had some 'stop-ins' too. Dorie, Toscana, Graelee, Diesel, Willie and Sail all stayed here for a little bit before they either went to great homes, or while they're normal fosters were away.
I was planning on adopting lovely Toscana,
but Beckett put a wrench into those plans.
Tossy did somehow lead to Evee getting
 adopted though. Small world.

Graelee was cute, but SOOOO annoying. She stayed for a week or so
before she could go back up to Turtle Gardens to have her legs looked at.

Lovely shy Willie spent a week here while his usual foster mum was on vacation.
He is Evee's brother, but very scared of the world. I would have loved to really
work with him. Willie is now is a great forever home!

Handsome, Rowdy Diesel stayed for a bit before he could move
to a better foster home for his needs. Him and Hank hated each other
but he got along with everyone else, providing correct handling.
Sail was indeed a good looking dog, but man, the energy and prey drive on this girl!
We took her on after a failed adoption. Although we could have worked with her
she upset other pack dynamics too much for the shy guys. She went on to foster
with Lisa B, fail another adoption, and then finally find her forever home.

Dorie was in foster with Sarah and hung out here for a week while she was on vacation.
Despite the fact that she had it in for Beckett, she was a hillarious old grandma!

Onwards to the 2012 year, where hopefully I can help as much. Whether the means as many dogs or not will be foreseen, but I've found its not necessarily the number of dogs that is the issue, but the dynamics within them, and how much time I need to devote to working with them. For me, there's great joy in helping the shy dogs out of their shells, or the nervous ones find balance. But in 2011 I tested my limits a few times -and indeed once or twice bit off more than I can chew-. My hope for 2012 is that I find a bit more balance. Which means only taking on what I know (or Yvette knows ;) ) I'm capable of handling. I have a few dogs under my belt, but am no way an expert. I need to learn from the best and keep challenging myself to go in different directions depending on the dog. Though most of my fosters might be shy, they've all needed something a bit different to bring them out.

On a very bright note, I now have the expert 'shy guy' team. Beckett the balanced, and now Lemon the social butterfly who somehow understands (I say somehow, because I have no idea where the hell she's learnt it from, and so quickly. Two months ago all she knew how to do was hump!) when to butt out and give a dog some space, and when to try to bring them out or protect them. In a sense they are both therapy dogs to some degree. Although they too have their faults, they are the core. Dogs work faster than humans anyway. So, Beckett and Lemon will give the fosters pooches dog skills, I will develop their confidence around people, leash training, and handling. I love teamwork.

The Foster Team parts 2 and 3.

And a big thank you to everyone who reads my blog. It's kept me more active than I would usually be otherwise and I believe has helped many of my fosters find great homes, as the applicants understand more of the day-to-day process of working with them, living with them, and playing with them. Instead of spending hours on the phone or e-mailing, I just direct them to my blog and with videos, pictures and descriptions, everything slowly makes sense.

I would like to end saying that I'm very grateful to be able to foster for Turtle Gardens -the dogs they send me are always well-rounded and have great temperments to start with. I've also been blessed finding some of the best Chihuahuas through California ---the videos seal the deal there!---, and that I don't consider myself only to be helping rescue, but that rescues are helping me as well. They help me understand my strengths, my weaknesses, my passion, sometimes my breaking point. They've found me my second pooch that fits every single thing I'd ever need in a dog, and fosters would need too.

For anyone considering getting a second dog, I encourage fostering as a way to find 'the one' in a way that isn't burdensome. "Is my dog going to love them. Is this my dog's BEST FRIEND" Many dogs live together awesome, and indeed there were quite a few that came through the doors with that could have stayed forever. But everytime something little was missing. Maybe it was the spark, I'm not sure, but by fostering I was able to find a #2 I would have never dreamed would be here. If you told me when I started fostering I would be adopting a 12 pound overly friendly, slightly idiotic Chihuahua cross I would have laughed at you, toppled over and snorted. But, I like to believe by fostering you eventually get the dog you 'need', not necessarily the dog you want.  They just show up suddenly and the lightbulb goes off one day when you least expect it. "This is the one." It might be dog #1 or it might not happen until after 50 dogs, but you've helped so many long the way.

If you are interested in fostering, please dog look further into it. Even if its just one here and there, it does make a big difference.

And so, my new years wish? I can't tell you, but I'm sure you have a guess :)
HAPPY NEW YEARS

Emily



2 comments:

Brigid said...

Great sum-up-the-year blog, Emily! Here's hoping for all good things in 2012 for you and all the dogs that you care for.

Anonymous said...

Emily ' I love your blog . Well done. cheers Polly