Monday, January 30, 2012

Victory for Helen, Unfortunate Turn for Alphie

I'll start on the most awesome note of the week. Helen did indeed win over the people at her meet+greet. They want to adopt her! They saw how awesome she was with their boy, they know she'll be a great influence on him. No trial nonsense, and although I said we could wait until the weekend as they work during the week they said 'bring her tomorrow. If we need to, we'll take a day or two off work.' BOOYA! So I bring Helen to her new home after work tomorrow. Now, I'm not going to count my chickens, but that's as promising as it gets to me! Last current foster to hit the foster front, first one (95%) to be adopted. Way to go Helen. And thank god there are some people that know what they need when it walks in their house.



On a sad note, Alphie has failed his trial. Not because of his eyes, but because the father and son developed significant allergies within the first couple of days. :( :(  When I got the news I was speaking to Sherry, the wonderwoman of Island dogz and the most awesome person this side of Yvette, and I mentioned that Alphie would do better in a quieter foster home -though he's just fine here! He is most definitely welcome here, and I will stick by him through thick and thin, but really, he just wants a couch to hang on and no dogs bouncing all over him (IE: Lemon and Alvin). After describing him to Sherry she said she'd take him as a foster. Or "office manager". So Alphie, unless I hear otherwise, will be finishing his foster care out with Sherry, with a bunch of his own couches, and only one laid-back dog to hang with instead of a bunch of playing brats and a blind husky that keeps jumping on top of his comfy spots. If for any reason that goes bust, he will be welcomed back here in a heartbeat. In the end, he's my responsibility.



It's one of those moments where I don't know whether to beat myself up or not. Alphie will do better there, but at the same time, I made that foster commitment to him (indeed to save his life even), and I feel like I'm bailing out. What I do kno, is that I will do all in my power to have a good home environment for the dogs in my care. No matter how much I am fond of Alphie Sherry's home environment (super quiet) is much more in line with Alphie's best interests. Don't worry bland, black boy, you won't fall through the cracks here! I will try to give you what's best for you -even if that isn't me.

As far as I know Alvin's homecheck is on for Wednesday evening, and I have to phone to set up a meet+greet with Allie. I'm flip-flopping with her in general. How much do I ask in a home for her? What does she need versus what I want for her. What is the best situation for her? Am I being too protective?

Really, once I think it over awhile, Allie doesn't have a 'perfect' scenario. She doesn't have a lot of boxes that need ticking. Just one really BIG box. What it comes down to is that all Allie REALLY needs is commitment warts and all. Someone that knows she's an onion dog. That she needs kindness, patience, time. She doesn't have bad behaviours, she isn't high-energy, fear-aggressive, --she's a flight dog--, or horrible on walks. She ignores people and they ignore her back. She's got a bubble. She isn't anything that needs a ton of understanding about canine communication. She's just plain and simple, untrusting and slow to warm up. I can give her potential home all the tools to help her bond, but I can't give them the patience and time to work her through it.

So, what is great about her potential home is that its a single woman (points, I think she'd do best with one person to bond with), and that there are other dogs in the household (super points, as she will look to the other dogs for what to do). However, it doesn't seem she knows much if anything about fearful dogs, so we'll see how that goes. I'm going to trust my gut on meet+greet. But that won't stop me from flip-flopping right up until the meet+greet. Oh Allie. I want what's best for you, but most importantly, I want you to have someone to love you forever. I think I'm afraid of it being a woman who thinks just her prescence can heal the broken dog. Hopefully I'm just being paranoid!

So, an interesting upcoming week for sure. And its only Monday!

Emily Out

No comments: