Friday, January 20, 2012

I Need a Bigger Couch -and other things

Okay, so I can't get a full shot of us all on the couch, but that's how I've been spending my morning. Me, and six pooches, squished all together on the couch. Allie, Helen, Alphie on the left, me in the middle, and Beckett, Lemon and Alvin on the right.

Everybody is coming along well, and the biggest change I've seen with Helen coming in is with Alvin. The other dogs are quite polite with him, but Helen puts up with no guff -she's in no way aggressive, she's just very firm and direct. Alvin understands her very clear and precise communication. Suddenly he's no bother. Although I never thought I'd say it, he's kind of growing on me. Welcome to doghood little man!

The pipsqueak. My fingers look HUGE!

Alphie's kennel cough isn't completely gone, but he isn't hacking nearly as much, and definitely not as hard. He's still got some eye-goobers, but his appetite has drastically improved, as has his mobility. When we're laying on the couch together he's not shivering or wheezing. I'm so glad. I was quite worried about my little man. Out of everyone here, I always look forward to seeing Alphie when I get home from work. Most of the other dogs maul me, and Allie comes running to the baby gate to see me in. But Alphie stays on the couch until I come around the corner and then nearly wags out of his skin in happiness. He's so nice. I know he's a little black, bland boy, but I tell you, he really is a best friend. He's so lovely, but not needy.

It's a rough life I tell you! 

Allie continues to make progress. She can go walk in busy areas without a worry until someone stops and wants to pet her. I just tell them, "Sorry, she doesn't like being petted" and some of them look at me like I'm crazy, but most go "Oh, okay" and continue on their way. People have to learn dog's have personal bubbles just like people do (although if you told that to Lemon she'd roll her eyes). Allie isn't nearly as quick to jump away from a stranger's approach now. She trusts that I won't let them touch her.

Allie is a perplex puzzle to me. She's not people fearful, and she's not overly shy, she just doesn't trust anybody. I see glimpses of trust with me (I woke up from a movie yesterday with her head on my butt, and my hand on her head), and even though she still skitters away from my touch a lot, she doesn't skitter far. It's like she's going, "No thanks, let's hang out from here." I think she trusts I'm good company and won't do her harm, but she still isn't comfortable being approached, even by me.

Although Helen and Allie are nearly polar opposites, Helen is good for Allie. Helen is outgoing and affectionate and kind of needy. Ying to Yang? They need to rub off on each other a bit ;) I know it'll take awhile for Allie to find her perfect match, as whoever that is has to let her come to them completely on her terms. But I've promised her that person or family is out there. And for as long as she needs, she's got us. And I admit, as frustrated as Allie gets me sometimes, I do have a big soft spot for her. She's recovering, and healing, and its not a fast process. She's making me learn some patience though, and I could use some more of that :)

Allie with her role model Beckett. Out of anyone, Allie trusts Beckett the most. When I work with Allie, I always have Beckett with me. He's her mentor.

Helen has also fit in with relative ease. She's having a hard time adjusting to her new food, but otherwise is doing well. She's got a few bad habits: like trying to countersurf (She isn't quite tall enough to do it efficiently ;) ) and trying to bolt out the door when it opens, but with postive reinforcement (she's got no spine, so hard corrections are for her) she's getting there.

The most frustrating part about Helen is that she likes to try to get away with stuff, and be completely sneaky, but then when she's caught she can cry like a baby. I'm pretty sure she's never been told 'no' and is finding rules scary. It's going to be interesting finding a balance with her. I don't want to put too much stress/pressure on her, but I need to make sure she gets the point. She's definitely a soft dog though. Soft dogs are both a good thing and sometimes troubling. They usually don't put up any resistance, but at the same time you risk scaring them with almost any correction. I'm sorry my dear Helen. Rules are rules. Once you learn them, there's no need for correction :)

Helen looking out the window. She's fascinated (and frustrated) by windows. She doesn't quite understand why she can't go say hi to the people outside! -There's kids tobaggoning across the way.

 Lovely Helen.

Lemon still has kennel cough too, and with recovering from her spay, has been couch-bound by her own choosing the last day or two. Lemon is exactly the kind of dog I'm grateful for. She feeds of everyone else's energy. If they're wild, she's wild. If they're chill, she's also a couch-potato. Little miss follower.

And now, some pictures from the last few days:

The yard, full of snow! Too bad we couldn't finish the gate in time so that it was a secure yard :S (Dear snow, please go away so we can finish the gate!)

 Jerrad out with Helen and Allie

Three Chihuahuas in a Row.
 Lemon mid-shake.
 Alvin: "Please foster dad, LOVE ME!"
 Helen face shot.
 Ying and Yang Dogs.
 Foster dad on duty.
Lemon returns to her humping roots :P

It seems like a rather slow time for adoptions. Maybe everyone got dogs over Christmas? Either way, I'm not quite sure why nobody has any real interest. (Although someone did make a good point that I'm giving Alvin a hard time on this blog.) Helen isn't up yet though, so that could change. Who knows. Either way, the pack is happy. A couple of snotty noses, but good chemistry.

And an awww moment to finish off the blog. Alvin is keeping care of sick Alphie. He's grooming Alphie's ears and head. I'm not quite sure if Alphie wants to tell him off, but he hasn't yet. Maybe they'd make good brothers yet :) The one that needs to learn how to be a real dog, and the one that needs to be a little less cranky.

But I very much doubt anyone wants to adopt them together.
But then again, in rescue, you never really know how the cards are going to be dealt.

For now, I'm just happy. Group foster -even if its only 6 six- works. Alvin couldn't become who he is becoming without stable dogs. Allie could not learn to begin to trust without role models to learn from. Dogs heal other dogs, plain and simple.

I'm just here for food, pee-breaks, supervision and direction. And for the fosters to have the manners needed to be good house pets. My role is rather minimal, but it is a role nonetheless.

We all have a part to play.

Emily Out

No comments: