Sunday, January 8, 2012

Oh Monkey Wrench

Feeling like an irresponsible owner today. Long story short, Lemon is most definitely in heat today.
The quick story of why she wasn't spayed before adoption is that she was sent down from TG with a spay voucher at the SPCA, and they wouldn't honour it. (Apparently it was for a rabbit or pitbull??) The lady at the desk even had the wherewithall to tell me "it's not like her pups wouldn't be adopted." Since when has the SPCA been so blunt that they don't mind getting in small breed puppies who have waiting lists a mile long. Don't get me wrong, I believe the SPCA still does a lot of good -especially with regards to the politics that rescue can't really touch. That's another topic though.

Our next approach was that instead of finding her an expensive vet, we'd find her a family that would consider her spay part of the process of adopting her. So, when I eventually adopted her, I took that responsibility on. A responsibility I seem to have failed :(

I adopted Lemon early-November. When I phoned my usual vet for appointments, they only had Mid-December (when I moved) or into the new year as they would be off for two weeks for Christmas. Why they were so booked for the rest of November, I'm not quite sure, but they must be super busy. We just book Beckett's yearly pretty much a year in advance, so don't have to worry there. So, thinking I had at least 5 months until she'd go into heat I originally had her scheduled in for Jan 14th with my usual vet. Yesterday I ran around to try to find her an earlier appointment. I got her one for Tuesday (10th) -they don't do spays over the weekend at this particular vet-. But yep, today she's obviously in heat. And for the limited reading I've done about spaying during a heat, it isn't the safest process, and healing time is quite a bit longer. I'll phone the vet on Monday to seek their opinion, but talked to Tucker's mum too (my first foster, who was adopted by a vet :) ) and she advised that I wait, even if a vet WOULD do it.

I'm kicking myself in the butt. Although it would have been super hectic, I should have just booked her in the week that we were moving. Can I rewind?

So, I think I'm looking at a couple of weeks unless the vet she'd be going to feels its still a good idea to spay her. I'm going to count the start date about two days ago -when I started seeing the little signs-, and will average 21 days. So, end of January. From doing a bit of research its anywhere between 8-30 days, but for a small dog usually sits about 8-20. Here's hoping for as least days as possible. As soon as she's finished, she's getting booked in for her spay 2 weeks later.

I'm just hoping the boys aren't idiots about her. They're all neutered, but they are boys. Here's hoping the homecheck goes well for Alvin. Alphie won't pick a fight with Beckett if it comes down to it. Though Beckett is middle-aged, and usually a big-arse wimp, Alphie is smart enough not to mess with someone that much bigger than him.

So for a few more weeks I'll keep kicking myself in the butt. Don't worry Lemon Zinger, I might have been an idiot about this, but we'll get you spayed as soon as possible. As always, you love thrawting my plans. We'll get through it. Hopefully I get smarter.

1 comment:

Jean said...

That SPCA person should be reported to the head office for her comments - they were irresponsible and the comments violate their own policies of spaying/neutering.
You may want to keep a little diaper on Lemon (a cheap pair of little boys underpants, with a pantiliner inside, works well - put the underpants on backwards with the tail through the front opening) - it will keep the mess to a minimum and also deter any interested males that may come sniffing around. And keep it on for two weeks beyond the end of the discharge - they are 'in heat' much longer than the visible signs.
Though I'm sure you know this - NEVER leave her unattended outside, even for a moment. I've seen horny little male dogs jump six foot fences to get at an in-heat female.
If she is just beginning her heat, she should be okay for spaying anyway - some vets will do it, some prefer not to.