Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Helen is Adopted!

Helen was adopted today. Happy dance!!! She joined her great people parents, and new canine brother Pierre, who she will help calm down and show that people aren't so bad after all. In a way, she gets to be a therapy dog -for another dog! Good luck Helen!

Helen in her TUAPA sweater. 

I must admit, it feels kind of weird having only four dogs (you wouldn't that weird right, you'd still think I'm crazy!!). It's like there aren't enough warm bodies on the couch! Alphie is doing really well at Sherry's, and she's much enjoying having a laid-back foster so that if someone tries to sick a foster on her, she can say 'back off, I've already got one!' Although I miss him, there have been countless times today I've gone 'and there Alphie would have been squished. And there Alphie would have been squished'. Blind husky. Non-complaining 13 pounder. There be lots of squishing. But I completely trust Sherry with my baby! So it's working out all the way around.

Alvin will be staying for awhile longer yet too. His application is having some medical issues they need to address before they believe its fair to welcome him into their home. Fair enough. We'll continue looking for his perfect home. As much as he bugs me sometimes, he does well here. He has learnt he is a dog! He is not an idiot, brat, nuissance, bother or shit-disturber anymore. He's still a bit of a bug, but he's gaining more confidence, no longer being too needy, and gaining some independence -he goes up and down the stairs now without too much trouble! And if you lean down to help him, he skitters up faster to show that he can. It's a flip-flop now between Lemon and Alvin being the more annoying. The difference is Lemon has an off-button, and knows I know how to push it. Alvin not so much. But he's changed a lot since he's been here. Some people might think his 'spirit' has been beaten down a bit, but I would argue that just because he isn't as quick to do some of the funny looking idiot chihuahua things, that he's still a clown. A loveable, affectionate, silly little clown. Now he's just a more socialized clown.

So, Alvin and Allie for a bit yet. But that's okay. Now that they've been here a month, they're pretty close to family. Easies!

And, for the kicker of the whole day (I didn't want to hijack Helen's adoption happy dance, but I couldn't wait), I woke up this morning with Allie in my bed! Licking my face! And what's this... she stayed in bed for awhile too. Wait, what! I swear I was dreaming. But nope, I woke up the second time and she was curled right into my chest with her tail almost up my nose. She still wasn't up for me giving her a good scratch, but whatever. I got a cuddle! She gives me so much. I hope I've given her just as much in return.

No comments: