Saturday, January 7, 2012

One Week + Unexpected Timing

Well, its definitely been an interesting week. Somewhat draining. I would have thought I'd have some of my energy back by now, but it seems I still need to catch up on sleep. I wonder if I'm fighting off a cold or something, as I'm usually not so lethargic. All of yesterday and today I haven't had any energy to do more than just lay on the couch, cuddle my dogs, and do some short imblical sessions with Allie. I don't know if its motivation, or the unending rainfall -if it rains too much more I might as well turn into a duck-, but I'm just not feeling completely myself. I'm sure another week will see me up to my usual speed.

Well, first up today was noticing the boys were a bit more interested in Lemon than usual. I had booked her in for her spay the end of the month, as it was either right as we were moving or wait until then. I figured we were safe until March so didn't worry about it. Well, I have the strangest feeling Lemon is now close to go into heat. LOVELY. So, I phone the vet, can't move the appointment, so off we run to Elk Beaver Lake vet, who I know is good for dealing with rescues. So, with some sweet-talking she's booked in for Tuesday. First off, no puppies for her. Second off, I'd really rather not deal with a heat! In hindsight, I should have just booked it while we were moving, but unfortunately we can't go back and change that. So, Tuesday.

I've also got an adoption application in the works for Alvin, although I think Alphie is more what they're looking for, so I'm going to bring them both with me to the homecheck. They want a companion for short walks, lots of cuddles and to enjoy hanging out while their mum plays piano and gives lessons.

Heck, I'd like to switch places with one of my dogs. Good food, get to be as lazy as I like, always warm and don't have to worry about 'life'. That said, then I'd have to deal with someone like me who lays down the law. Hmm, maybe I should think about that. I do like to be in charge!

In the short time we've spent together Alphie has become my full-time companion. He's my couch-buddy, my lap-warmer, my little shadow throughout the house. He's gotten to be good on a leash with little fussing, and is learning his name. He takes treats gently, hasn't shown a single sign of aggression, even when pushed and poked and prodded. He's gotten over his neuter, has stopped mounting everyone, and has decided that although Alvin is a constant pest, he'll be nice for my sake. He really is the well-rounded, sweet tempermented little dog that'll fit in most anywhere that isn't too active. I'm hoping he eventually gets to go to a home where he can be an only dog and soak up all the attention. Although he's fine in foster care, I'm sure he'd much rather be the focus.

Alphie: I'm too sexy for my shirt!


Alvin. Ah, what to say about Alvin. Alvin is a goofy Chihuahua who will either make you laugh or make you fume. He's an acquired taste. I can see how people like the personality, but I myself am not overly partial. Of course he's welcome here for as long as necessary, but he makes me understand why people either love or hate Chihuahuas. They are definitely all their own dogs. Especially the purebreds! They are such pests, but don't realize just how annoying they can be.

For shits and giggles, you can watch one of Alvin's little quirks here: (for some reason my blog doesn't like to upload videos lately)
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/photo.phpv=10150473497278671&set=vb.729918670&type=2&theater

The Pest in his Little Green Coat

Allie is making progress. Slow progress, but progress. Underneath her fears she's a confident little bugger -it seems a contradiction, but that's what she is. She's confident in herself and other dogs. She is not confident that humans will not hurt her. She's settled into her routine and now expects her twice-daily walks and will scratch at the door to get them if she thinks I'm late. She will also throw a bit of a temper tantrum if she doesn't think our walk lasted long enough. She's a princess I tell you, and she's now decided my role is fitful maid. I'm still a scary maid mind you.

She likes to follow Jerrad into the kitchen, as she knows he'll drop scraps for her, and sometimes she goes down into the computer room to hang out with him. Although she still spends time in her crate, I always leave it open now -except if she's bugging me at bedtime, some nights she has an annoying habit of running into the bedroom, giving us a funny look and running away again and again. What does she want me to do I wonder? Is she trying to play with me?

Either way, I get up, I walk over to her crate and she instantly goes in and I close the door. Maybe she's waiting for me to tuck her in? See what I mean, she's a princess! (And is in need of a name change. Allie is way too soft for this pampered pooch.) She's coming over and hanging out with us more often. She's not the furthest away a lot of the time. She's given my fingers kisses, but still skitters away when I reach out to pet her (whether her head, side, chin or chest, so she's not just head shy.) However, she doesn't skitter as far away, or stay away for very long anymore. I figure one of these days she'll hang out and won't retreat when I go to pet her. I don't push it. Before she lets me pet her, she has to associate my reaching out as a good behaviour. This can only happen when she sees it over and over and over and it doesn't cause her pain. She can only learn this with time -and tasty scraps of eggs being thrown.

She's smart though. I can see it in everything she does. She's always watching, not so much on guard anymore, but absorbing things. How the gates work -she can push it both ways now-, how if she keeps to one side of me or the other I won't run into her and I'll ignore her. She's passed me by many times very closely, whereas in the beginning she'd make the widest circles possible. She understands that 'hey' means bad and she stops right away and doesn't go into hiding by simple everyday movements. She likes the music on. She'll eat her food -providing its wet food- with the door to her kennel open.

She's even gotten comfortable sleeping with the kennel door open. The first few days she was so guarded she only slept when we did. Which isn't much for a dog!

Passed out in her Kennel

She's still on a leash and she'll be on a leash until I'm confident she's passed potential fear biting. And that she's confident I'm not going to hurt her by getting close. The most she's ever done to me is a loud warning growl, but I don't want to take any chance. Not so much about getting bit, but because to start building up trust and then invade it would be such a step backwards at this point. For now, the leash is the small trust between us. The small comfort that I will be there to take her out for her little walks, that I respect her space. That it is her choice to get close. That 6 1/2 feet is the closest she ever HAS to be. She'll get there eventually. It's only been a week. Give her a month and I think she'll be ready for a super commitment person(s). Still, even if she becomes comfortable here, it'll still be an adjustment to another home.

For now, she's in safe hands. I admit that I might not be the most capable place for her to land, but I will try my best to help her feel that a human is capable of affection. That we aren't all completely scary. She's young, and she's smart. I hope that kindness, patience and time will heal her 'inner puppy'. There's a home out there for her. Until then, I hope she finds some comfort here.

No comments: