Thursday, February 2, 2012

Allie Found Her Inner Puppy

I've somehow turned the fearful dog into a needy dog. Or more precisely, MY needy dog.

This week has been a weird rollercoaster of Allie growing leaps and bounds each day (or more, morning). Monday she crawled into bed with me. She went on and off the bed for about an hour, not sure if she was safe, but wanting to be up there nonetheless.

Tuesday she hopped right on up, licked my eyeballs to wake me up, and hung out for about half an hour at the foot of the bed.

Wednesday same as day two, but she spooned with me instead of taking the end of the bed. Lemon gave her a funny 'what the, well fine then' look and graciously went to cuddle with Beckett instead. When I went to have a bath she laid her silly little spaniel butt beside the dog and ever couple of minutes gave me a bark and grumble to let me know I was supposed to be paying attention to her!

And today. Today she jumped into bed, licked my eyeballs, smothered me with kisses and paw waps to the face (of all the things she could have picked up from Helen, WHY was it the face-smack she learnt????)  And then, what did that little silly spaniel do. She playbowed at me. At first (7:30 is early more me Thursdays :P) I was like 'oh, stretching'. But she did it again, and again, and then she stuck her head under my hand and decided what the hell, she'd start playing anyway. So I played with her -super duper gently- on the bed for about 20 minutes, and my goodness, when she's playing she doens't care about me handling her at all. I roughed her up like Lemon and after she settled down a bit she let me scratch her ears and stroke her back and she looked -for maybe the first time even- like she was thoroughly enjoying the physical attention.

I think someone has swapped spaniels on me. A month ago my expectation would be that she'd warm up, like to hang with me, tried to share my meals, and probably that's as far as she'd want to go. But now, she wants to PLAY with me.

This is super exciting, and yet at the same time, that part of you guys 'man, that means she's work now'. It's easier when they're shy! But they're happier when they aren't, so that's the main thing. Dear Allie, you have found your inner puppy. You are ready for your forever family :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yayyyy! So happy to read this - I have been following her progress with great interest, (debating should I put in an application for her)have to convince hubby first and he does like to play with dogs so I was afraid she/he wouldnt get along.

Emily said...

It's in there that puppy! But it'll take her new family awhile to find it. She's got layers. But once you get under them, she's super silly! Still special though, and still going to take awhile to get comfortable in whatever home she ends up in :)