Monday, April 23, 2012

Baths and Bugs

It happens at least once a year since fostering. Somebody brings them in.

The elusive... flea!

For something I can't see, they sure leave nasty bites! So, it was strip down all the fabric, do laundry like crazy. Tomorrow Jerrad will take the dogs all out of the house for a couple of hours and I will do the yearly 'flea spray'. Everything will be fine. My legs will be itchy, but whatever. That's kind of life on the farm with dogs for you. Also, I'm pretty sure the culprit was Lemon! Migo, Zephyr and Jas all have their anti-flea-tick stuff, DimSum had her bath and although really dirty, no bugs in sight. Everybody has been checked and picked through and with the exception of the TUAPAS, bathed. Beckett has his flea tick control, but at times we forgot the monthly date, he has never had them either. I think his longer coat helps. It's too much work to get in there! Lemon, regardless of her flea and tick control, manages to cart them in a lot. She's low to the ground and short but not too short of hair.  She's just a walking flea magnet. When we're at the vet in May for the yearly check-up, we'll try her out on something different.

On the bright side, I've started the spring cleaning, so everything was going to get topsy turvy for the 'big clean' anyway.

Not much else to report today. With running around all weekend, I'm a tidbit cranky -it doesn't feel like I got my weekend-. My parents are going to come out next weekend, so I'm trying to shuffle some fosters off on people. Puppies and parents just don't go together. Jasmine and Migo have weekend places to head to. Hopefully Zephyr will find a place to land too, but he's the easiest one, so I'm not too worried. I need to go through my contacts to see who DimSum might be good with for the weekend. She could really use the 'adventure' of having to bond to someone else for a weekend, but I want to make sure its the right kind of stimulus for her. Have a couple days to prepare :)

I have to admit, it would be nice to have a weekend off so to speak. I enjoy everyone here, but I'd really like to be able to take a long bath, possibly do some shopping, and do some 'normal girl' activities.  I'm sure after being 'normal' for a weekend, it'll be a welcome return to dog world, but you have to be normal every now and again to truly enjoy the dog world :)

Anyone want to have DimSum for the weekend? Friday evening to Sunday evening ish. She's a good girl, just nervous for the first hour or so with new people. Good with dogs though :)

Best,
Emily

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would offer to help give you a break if I lived in or near victoria .. but I live on salt spring so it is not so near with the ferry obstacle.
Is it actual "bedbugs" you are trying to get rid of or "fleas"?
I didn't think it too easy to kill "bedbugs"?
Good luck

Emily said...

Oops, yes, it's fleas. Any bug in the bed is a bedbug to me ;)