Sunday, April 15, 2012

Give me Dogs, Send back some People

I want to start this blog off by saying, I have met MANY terrific people throughout my fostering adventures. Other foster mums, adopters, people generally interested and spreading the word. I get to see Chula and Netty frequently, and same with Suhki. Kaiser, who I didn't directly foster, but did save, and his mum have become good friends of mine. Miranda has even saved her own dog from the same shelter Kaiser was at now. The cycle continues positively. But sometimes, well, lately, a lot of the time, the 'people' end of rescue is frustrating me.

Such as: Migo's most-likely home bailing before they even met him.
Such as: Jasmine failing trail.
Such as: the 3 e-mails I've had regarding adopting DimSum to be a property guardian, to be leashed up in a yard all day. Get a security system! Not a slightly shy terrier mix. Not a dog period.

To ice the cake very recently we did a great homecheck for Jasmine. They wanted to straight up adopt her, they'd work through the big issue of hard transitioning period. We had a volunteer go all the way up to Courtney to do the homecheck, everything was ready to go. And then, only a day or two before the meeting to pick her up, the husband decides he doesn't really want a second dog. Seriously... no offence, but if you didn't want a dog, why did you make us jump through all the bloody hoops! Adopters complain about jumping through hoops to adopt a dog, but rescue does the same. Either way, I'm glad it doesn't really effect Jasmine, as she didn't move or anything. It's just... FRUSTRATING.

Haha, I need to get somebody adopted to have some ups, as this road is getting kind of rocky! I think I'm just feeling a little defeated. I know my dogs will get adopted. I know they will find their awesome families. They're out there. I would just like a little less bull-shit before we get to them :)

On a brighter note, its been a good weekend with the dogs. We did a homecheck for Brojack (he has a few applications) and without thinking about it, I brought Zephyr along as he didn't join us for a group walk (we only have room for 5 of the current 6 dogs in the car...). They quite liked Zephyr, and Zephyr quite liked them. So maybe :) It would make my day to see Zephyr be adopted the first out of the current group, as I seriously thought/still think he will be the last to go of my current fosters. I also had a phone call with another of Brojack's applicants. It's nice to see such a fantastic dog get fantastic applications. A lot of the time its the really pretty ones that get a lot of applications, regardless if they're excellent temperments or not.

Saturday we went out to the lake twice and did two 6-7km loops. We had Migo out in his 'adopt-me' vest and stopped to talk with somebody every few minutes. I gotta get me one of these vests for my non Ocean-Dog dogs. Though, not on the shy dogs like DimSum, she would HATE that kind of direct attention.

Migo sports his 'adopt-me' vest.

We also did Mount Work today with Meshum and a bunch of clients from the daycare, and I admit, I'm a little out of shape, but it was Beckett who surprised me most. We made it 3/4 up the mountain and although I know he would have made it all the way I could tell he was totally spent. So, I decided to head back with him early. I waddled for about 20 minutes before he got back up to a slower pace. It's so hard to believe he's starting to get old. That he can't do it all. Best guess is that he's 7, but with his background and possibly not a great upbringing, he might physically be a couple of years older. His annual vetting is in May, so we'll see what they assume his internal age to be.

You know when the tail is completely down, he's totally exhausted.
Beckett shortly after we turned around on the mountain.

Here are some pictures of our adventures this weekend. Despite the roadblocks for me, they are all happy, well-adjusted, happy that it's warm out. I don't have a complaint about any of them -well, Migo is a bit too active for everybody, but that's really not a 'problem'--. Anyway the pictures. The happy side of rescue!

Cheeky Lemon Brat

DimSum Hanging with her Favourite Friend

I find it absolutely hillarious when you see direct copying behaviour.
DimSum wants to be just like Beckett!

The terrier is here! Confident on her walk :)

Tired near the end of the walk. Looking goofy.
I love when they can stand with pride and say "I am here!"

Getting Kisses.

Migo and DimSum gang up on the kisses!

Trying to get them to stop kissing is difficult!

Beckett, exhausted after Mount Work. He does look like age is starting to catch up to him.

Cashe, also with TG, being fostered with Meshum. She wasn't too fond of being on leash! She wanted to run off-leash with everyone else, but doesn't have the recall yet to do so safety. She's a happy little thing though. Also busy, busy, busy! I bet even after the big hike, she played all afternoon.
To another week. Hopefully one filled with less false starts. :)
The dogs will keep me thinking positively, so all is good on the foster front.

Emily Out

No comments: