Wednesday, April 4, 2012

No More Trials!

Unfortunately, Jasmine has failed her trial, and will be coming back over the weekend. Apparently they've decided she 'isn't the right match for us' and probably need a more happy-go-lucky type dog. Says the people who wanted a shyer type dog, that went on about wanting a dog they could help come of out their shell. Not that Jas needs a lot in that arena, just that she's on the skittish side, and that she doesn't transition well or quickly. This is one of those 'skittish by nature' types, not really one that needs a lot of confidence boosting overall (new things, yes). She's a dog that doesn't do well with change. It took her over two weeks to feel comforable here. The saddest part is that Jasmine really liked them too, and I know if they would have stuck through the first month, they would have been just fine. Where's the satisfaction in instant-gratification anyway.

Regardless, I'm sick and tired of trials. I'm sick and tired of sending fosters off not knowing they are going to forever. I'm sick and tired of waiting on pins and needles to see if they passed or not. My only goal as a foster mum is to do the best possible by way of the dogs here. For the time that they are here, they are my responsibility, my family, my job. It IS NOT in their best nature to be bounced around, to only have a MAYBE. To have people figure out what they 'need' or 'want' at the expense of another dog having to be bounced aound. I'll wait it out for better than that. If Jasmine wasn't so smitten with them, I would have, but I trust the dogs to know. She knew, and Zephyr could sense it too. Unfortunately for Jasmine, she didn't pick people who would truly see her out. She is welcome back here for however long she needs, I'm just kicking my arse a few times that she had to go through that, that I wasn't better able to find her what she needed: people willing to wait.

So, although Jasmine and Zephyr are welcome here for as long as they need, I've decided I will no longer work with rescues who want to do trial periods. I understand a meet+greet, heck, I'd go out to the park a couple of times to be REALLY SURE about a match, but I just can't take maybes anymore. A maybe isn't good enough for me, and it certainly isn't good enough for the dogs in my care. You will either make it work or you won't. There is very little grey area.

To Jasmine, I'm sorry you have to carry the brunt of the trial experience. I will see you soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily

I understand your frustration; but I still think there is a place for a one week trial. It really helped us to know if Sukhi and Veda were right for us. So after a week people should know whether the dog is right for them or not, and then be ready to make a commitment if they say yes.

Not sure if you got our email; got a weird notification that it didn't go through, but it was not your email address. If you didn't get it, we wrote that we are relieved that Sukhi's leg now seems to be on the mend. We have been taking him for gradually longer and longer walks, and for the last couple of days he has been going out with Veda for 30-45 min walks twice a day. Veda is doing better too with other dogs on the walks.

Let us know where and when you'd like to meet for a dog walk. Looking forward to it.

P&C

Emily said...

You guys are special though :) And if she wasn't for you, you would have still fostered her until she found her home. That's basically fostering with intent to foster fail ;)

IE: She's not getting bounced around. But for people who get to meet in the dog in person, have a meet+greet with all two and four legged in the family, to me, there shouldn't be a place for trial.

Of course there would be a few exceptions: disabled child comes to mind first.

PS: I stuck you with Suhki cause I know you'd fail ;)

Jean said...

I feel your frustration, Emily, but the reality is that even adoptions without a trial period are still 'trials' - because any responsible rescue will not only request but insist (in its contract) that if the dog doesn't work out, it be returned to them.

Yes, potential adopters should have a high degree of confidence that this is the right dog for them before the dog shifts to their home, just as the rescue also needs confidence in the potential adopter. But trial or direct adoption, the dog might still come back.

Emily said...

Of course they should be returned if things don't work out, I would never deny Jasmine a place back here. It's just, the rescue I'm working with for Jas/Zephyr and that I've worked with some other dogs start almost every adoption off as two week 'trial'. To me, I just don't see the good for the dogs. In two weeks, you barely get to know them. And to me, a trial implies a big fat maybe. I know things down the road inevitably can change, but at the time of adoption, you should be ready for forever.

Of course though, if you adopt, and weeks or months or years down the line, are unable to keep them, they should be 100% welcome back.

It's not an issue that dogs come back (well, that's its own issue isn't it :P), but that I feel a two week trial is just setting dogs up for failure.

Thankfully, TG doesn't do any of this trial stuff, so I'm still hot to trot with that :)