Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Time to Charge my Batteries

Sometimes doing dog stuff all weekend has its fall-backs. Mostly, I end up burning out faster. With one day off, I can manage to do a decent clean, get the mountain of laundry under control, wash all the crates and dog bedding and overall, get everything that absolutely needs to get accomplished, accomplished. But, that doesn't really leave any time to flake out. I'm truly not a type A person, so after a few weeks I start to burn out if I don't get a day off to lay around and enjoy the dogs, the sun, the walks, a clean house. Basically, at least once every couple of weeks, I need to be recharged. I haven't been recharged in awhile. And, it makes my fuse a heck of a lot shorter.

So, I am glad this weekend Migo is going to his new home, and Jas might be going up to hang with Cecily to see if a change in location might spawn more interest in her.

To be honest, it's not the number of dogs that gets to me. I could live with six Beckett's super easily. It's the the confident, teenage boys that I truly don't mesh with. Migo is an awesome dog, he is friendly with people and other dogs (sometimes too friendly), he walks marvellously on a leash, he is super cuddly, he is crate-trained and housetrained providing frequent trips out. He is a whole 'package', and yet, as far as he's come here, as good as he is, he and I just don't mesh. He wears me out quickly, and wears my patience out even quicker. In a nutshell, Migo is really draining to me. I enjoy my time with Migo, but honestly, there are times when I'm so glad he doesn't have to come to daycare every day with me. To be fair, he would be perfect if I didn't spend so much time with him :) He's like sugar... I've just had too much lately! But he's oh so sweet.

Either way, am I so glad he will get to head to his forever home. That is the number one smile. Number two is knowing I get a bit of a break.

As for Pika, she has settled in really well. She has been to daycare and is a little hesitant in the bigger groups, but is very social. She also loves to talk when she plays. There's still young dog in there as she very much loves to de-stuff stuffies and chew her bones, but most of the time she's a mellow, cuddly companion. She's not draining at all, which I am grateful for. :) Expect in her silly pug moments, she is very relaxing to be around. But that's a TG dog for you. They understand the 'lazy inside' thing.

She is great in her crate overnight, and has been left for 3-4 hours at home alone and hasn't shown any signs of seperation anxiety. Of course she'd much rather be with her people as much as possible, but being seperated is a necessary part of life in most homes, so I make sure they get used to it here for a few hours every day. Besides, if I can make them comfortable being alone for short periods, they are better able to be less stressed when they go to their new home.

Here are some pictures of Pika:

Looking all cute.

Playing with Lemon

Happy Pug Girl

The Mini-Mastiff
In other news, we had a great walk with Suhki, Veda and their servants... oh I mean people... on Monday night. We also ran into May, my first foster Chihuahua who started the chain of them. She's off-leash and still looking slightly chunky, but she is doing very well. She didn't really recognize us until I knelt down and then her ears when 'OOOOO....' It's been over a year since she's been adopted.

May when she was with us. (Before she got her nails trimmed!)

Pika was with us, so we stopped to talk to quite a few people about her, and blabbed on about turtle gardens and such. It's amazing how many people have heard of TG. It helps that Pika is quite the looker. People like to stop and ask what kind of dog she is. They see a pug face on a forty pound body and are just confused. I suppose she is a little confusing to look at -but to me that just adds to her charm. She is seriously a very nice girl. A tidbit shy on first approach, but very friendly once you take a minute with her. Going to enjoy all the puggly cuddles I can get.

Luckily, only one more day till my long weekend. We're going to barbecue, finally finish up the fence (now that we know we're staying long-term), and hopefully just relax a bit. It's amazing what one afternoon of laying around enjoying your surroundings can do.

Ah... I can just feel the zen coming back to me thinking about it.
To the weekend!

Emily Out

No comments: