Friday, May 18, 2012

TUAPAs on the Farm

It's easy to get distracted by the younger pups or newer fosters as they do more photo loving stuff, and are well... more 'active' thus having more to talk about. Looking back its been awhile since I've done a true update on my older guys. Zephyr and Jasmine have been her two and half months now, and fingers crossed tightly, have an application together! (No pressure if you're reading this :)) For these two sweet older souls to find a place to rest their heads together is what I idealized when they got here. Of course, it was a dream that probably wouldn't come to fruition. But wouldn't it be so cool if it did! Time will tell.

Zephyr has been off-leash for awhile. We've started barbecuing now that it's nice out, and he will tap at the door until we let him out to go barbecue with Jerrad. He might be looking slimmer, but he's got a fat man's head. BURGERS!!!!! We just have to be careful that he doesn't try to jump up on the rack! Those would be some toasty paws.

He's also become like Lemon and Zephyr. He is crateless! (A rare priviledge for most foster dogs.) He sleeps on the couch, is loose when we leave. He is only fed in his crate. Otherwise he will grump if any other dog gets close to his food. That's instinctual though. Even people guard their food.

Zephyr the farm dog.
Zephyr is also an attention hog. He can barely sit through me typing up a blog before he's cat-like head-rubbing over my hands. PAY ATTENTION TO ME! He also gets demanding when there's no spot on the couch for him and with sit for minutes at a time pawing at my leg or wacking me in the face if he can. He likes to be right beside you on the couch too, so if Pika is on one side and Lemon on the other, he wacks me until I move one of them so he can scootch closer. Zephyr is truly a big cat, who still likes his walks. You can miss one day at the lake, but the next day he'll sit at the car and glare at you. THE LAKE, I MUST GO TO THE LAKE! He's pretty darn good at telling me exactly what he wants.

His only small issue, that we haven't made too much progress with is taking treats gently. He nips hard! We're teaching him to take it from the palm (so he can't grab your finger), but to feed him a treat like a usual dog, he tries to take your nail off with it. OUCH! But what's a thorn amongst all the roses. Sometimes I forgot he's a foster, he just fits so well. I'll really miss his calm zen energy when he eventually goes home.

As for Jasmine, she continues to have almost all good days. There's the odd one (maybe once every two weeks or so?) that she seems to wake up scared of her own shadow, but by the afternoon, and having an extra rest, she is usually comfortable. Switching to a new food had her on the runs for a few days (Jerrad forgot to mix in the pumpkin :S), but she is back to normal today. A tidbit mushy, but no explosions.

Jasmine has also recently discovered her favourite thing. SWIMMING. Down at the lake she is more concerned about her walk, although she's always been interested in the water, and if we're at the beach she always tugs us closer to walk by the ocean, so we've always known she likes the water, but over the last two days, she's found the big pond on our property, and although we don't let her completely off-leash yet (if she spooks, she's a pain to catch), but we drop her leash and let her drag it. She LOVES that pond. I haven't managed any pictures of her in there yet, but whenever we drop the leash, she's over there pretty quick for an older girl. She'd spend hours in there if she could. We make sure to hose her off good afterwards, which she isn't too fond of, but I don't want to take any chances. It's a farm pond after all, who knows what's in there.

I think she's going to like Cecily's new pond when she heads up there (most likely) tomorrow. Even with the application, I think Jasmine would benefit from the change in scenery for awhile, to get out of her comfort zone in an indoor setting, and learn to be comfortable, and hopefully even like it.

Here are some pictures of Jasmine on the farm lately.

Boys: They always want their butt in your face!


Sweet, older face.

Jasmine, loyally following Jerrad, her zen daddy. Since day one, she's much preferred him over me.

The permenants ruin a good shot.

Lemon always has to make a funny face. Good job posing Jas!

She of the bobbed tail.

I think this is the best one I've gotten of Jas since she's been here. Truly a beautiful girl.
I hope I can catch a few of her swimming today or tomorrow morning.

We'll miss you Jas while you go adventure with Cecily for awhile, but I know with a change in scenery comes a change in adopters if your home with Zeph doesn't work out. ---We've had the odd application for her, but they're all in downtown or busier areas, which I don't think she would handle well. She's a dog who needs some zen. And we'll make sure you get it baby girl. Here's hoping you and Zephyr can stay together (after your trip of course). Most of us have our fingers and toes crossed hard for you.

PS: Migo goes home tomorrow! We also have a few applications for Pika already, so I'll be doing a homecheck for her tomorrow as well. Summer means the adoptions pick up and I'm ready to have a little break. Just a little one though :)

Looking forward to all that this weekend brings.
Emily + Crew

1 comment:

camkid said...

Emily, I'm so keeping my fingers cross for Jasmine and Zephyr to be adopted together. It seem so appropriate considering they came to you together and have been together for a couple of months.