Saturday, May 12, 2012

Welcome Pika!

I woke up this morning at 7:30 planning to have a nice shower, take the dogs for a nice walk, and jump on the 11am ferry to do the Victoria side TG Run. Well, that was canned when I found out the guys were REALLY early. So I yanked Jerrad out of bed and by eight ten we were running up to catch the 9am ferry.

While we were on the ferry, we met up with Lucy-Chow's people, which was kind of weird be cool. We talked with them for awhile, and then settled in amongst a bunch of rugby teams. I was feeling a little spoiled. Dog people, and good looking young men!

Donna met us with the crew and the dolley, and even with two pups who didn't want to walk on a leash, we managed our way back on the 11am ferry with a minute or two to spare.

With us we had Pika (our foster), Dianamo, who is going to a friend of mine to foster, and Rook, who didn't want to move at all, so we loaded her up on the dolley with the dog food, and she was quite content to be carted around. She is in foster care with Marie Zirk, a dog trainer in Victoria. I hope to get to know her better down the road.

There were at least ten dogs in the small dog room on the ferry, as well as a cat! The TG dogs did really well. Pika made rounds for scratches, and soothed the puppies when they got lonely. She also got a little irritated with people who had food and wouldn't give her some! She is a good begger! Rook stayed comfy and napped on her food pallet. Dianamo went back and forth between sleepy/shy and confident and seeking attention. She is a sweet puppy! I just wanted to bring home with me.


My puppy!
I knew though if I took her home, I'd foster-fail her. Gotta have a solid plan in place for long-term accomodations before I should be doing that! (It's not far off, but, its still at least a few weeks). So, off to her foster home. Ironic: they live on the same street as Linda, who adopted Xena (now Nina) and Annie from TG! I saw Nina in the yard too, but wasn't quick enough to snap a picture!

We dropped her off, and then dropped Rook off at Elk Beaver lake for Marie. She really reminds me of Trunk. Not quite so severe of 'I want to hide!' but similiar. I'm sure after a few days she will be just fine :)
We're home now and Pika had a good trot in the yard, and met all the dogs. Beckett is a little smitten! They're sharing a bed already (not surprising, he invites every new girl dog onto his bed!). She has played a bit with the toys here, but not with the dogs so far. I'm sure that will change soon.

She is a 40 pound pug mix (looks like a mini bull-mastiff!), about 18 months old according to her vet records. She's a real easy girl, great energy, very social but not overbearingly so. I think she is missing puppies though. She really had a great bond with both Dia and Rook. If anyone wants a momma dog to their puppy, this is their girl!

Here are some pictures...






More updates as she settles in :)

For now, Migo is counting his chickens for his meet+greet/homecheck tomorrow.

1 comment:

Piper said...

I got to meet Pika and snuggle Dianamo this morning...both supper cute! Pika is like a super-sized Pug!