Saturday, February 4, 2012

5 Weeks in Foster

5 Weeks is a long time in foster care here. My longest has been about 5 1/2. But, I have to admit, it's easy peezy all things considered so that just gives me more time with an easy crew. Allie is pretty much 'normal' with me (still has a ways to go with Jerrad). She still gets a little jumpy when I put her leash on, and sometimes backs away from my touch, but nothing out of the ordinary. She's also been sleeping 'free-range' the last few nights, and is getting an attitude about having to hang out in her crate! Oh oh, did I break her? For being such a crate-dweller when she first came, she certainly is getting quite opionated! Sometimes I wonder what is progress, and what is becoming bad habits...

Allie's meet+greet is on Monday evening. One hour will tell me all I need to know to make the decision for her (I'm hoping she'll make the decision herself :) ). I've given up worrying about it. I mean, it'll work how it's supposed to work.

Alvin also has some interest, so we'll see where that leads. One with a lady out near the big dog park that wants a small dog that is okay with the big guys (yep, that's ALVIN!), and who she will treat as a 'real dog'. (THANK DOG! He's SO GOOD now, he doesn't need to go back to the annoying little creature he used to be).

The other is with a family on the mainland with a staffie mix. They will most likely be visiting sometime this week. If perchance he can get adopted before the bus run comes down, I might just have to get two fosters instead of one :P We'll see. A week is sometimes a short period to do much in. But then you get the adoptions like Helen -a meet and greet one day, an adoption signing two days later-. I trust in fate it works out how its supposed to.

In other brief news, Alphie is winning over his foster home with Sherry and her labXpit mix Junior.



Do I smell a foster-failure coming :) It's so weird how things work out sometime. I didn't even say yes to Alphie, I said yes to another dog that was actually snatched up before we could get her, and they sent Alphie instead. (Sneaky contacts! I said yes to a female!). So, maybe he had to fail his first trial in order to get his real home ;) Time will tell. For now, he's having a great quiet life. (The cone is so he doesn't scratch his eyes. He's still got slight ulcers :( ). That, and Island Dogz had to take him on for him to even find Sherry. Fate -she really has a sense of humour about her, doesn't she?

Somebody else is on trial too!

Kaiser was having some difficulties in his foster home, mostly due to not enough exercise for a high-energy dude, and not enough exposure to people. He was becoming slightly people-fearful, and restless. Also, his foster home is super husky-experienced, but unfortunately, how one deals with a husky, doesn't usually have the same effect on a softie like a boxer X. Anyway, long story short, Island Dogz brought in a dog-walker volunteer to get him some extra attention and she fell for him. :) He's on trial on with her but in case something doesn't work out (renting with a dog mistaken for a pit mix is hard!) she will foster him for the long haul and keep working through his issues. He's a big puppy still, so with the right guidance, he'll get through. Good luck Kaiser man!  I know you'll pull through :)

And last but not least, we got to visit with Suhki-Dayo and his people Peter and Cheryl yesterday. Jeepers everytime I see him, he seems to have grown so much! Also, I was a bit of a selfish momma and only took Lemon and Beckett, but its been a long time since they've done anything on their own, so it was high-time they got one afternoon of our time :)

Peter was taking pictures the whole way. Think I should hire him to take pictures of my pack too ;) There's no way those Suhki pics wouldn't get loads of applications :)

Pictures by Peter:

Suhki trying to get Beckett to play. Beckett making sure he's a 'good-dog' and gets to stay off-leash.

Beckett back on leash. Between the waves and having a complete frog in my throat, there was no real way for him to hear my call him. He eventually got back off again.
 Foster Mum gets her Kisses :) Good thing the dogs are cute, cause Emily with a cold is definitely not so good-looking ;)

Handsome Suhki!

Walking with Cheryl. Lemon is freaked out by the water, so can't go off-leash.

A good playdate, but it completely flew under the radar that Lemon hadn't been around moving water before. She goes around the lake fine, but the waves really freaked her out. She's turning into such a farm dog, I need to get her out on busier roads, as I think she's becoming (or has been all along, but I'm just noticing now) somewhat noise sensitive.

Suhki is getting a foster sister (hopefully an adopted sister!) on this next bus run. 3 gueses who ;)

And now, to a big long bath if Allie will allow me to get away with that... she was easier when she didn't like me :P. The cold is making me foggy, but doesn't seem to be doing me in. Yeah for a good immune system. I've last since before Christmas without a cold whenever everyone seemed to get pelted, so I think we're doing good :)

Will give you guys an update on Allie's meet+greet Monday night.

Emily Out

No comments: