Sunday, February 19, 2012

Non-TG Rescuing (My Second Dog Passion)

Well, when I get it in my head that I need to save one, apparently it gets done whether I go looking or not. Actually, these days I don't even look myself -I get sent too many dogs anyway. Lists actually. Lists of dogs about to die without me. Talk about your guilt-trip. BUT, I will not be pulling any more of my own Californian dogs to rehome myself -there is too much risk in medical-, but that doesn't stop me from trying to convince other rescues to take them on when they become super urgent. Meaning, they don't really have a chance in hell.

So it happens with this currently nameless guy.

This is a 7 month old pup, labelled as a Chi mix, but from this one pic (which is all he gets by the way) seems bigger, that was set to be euthanized Friday night unless saved. With two hours to spare I pleaded with Island Dogz to take him -I can get him here easily, I even have the contacts that network for 'pledge fees' to help with the amount of money it costs to bring them up. To be perfectly frank, and I can get him here for pennies. He's 7 month. A puppy still. No bad habit at this point is going to need extensive rehab. He doesn't deserve to die.

So, we saved him, found him a foster home that does only small dogs, so he won't be stealing a bigger local dog's foster home, and he will become apart of Island Dogz. If for any reason his foster bails, I'm his back-up foster home. Fair enough. To save his life, if that's what I have to do, sure. All of the current chis are adopted, so they won't compete with current Island Dogz up for adoption either.

I'll be picking him up in Abbotsford either this weekend, or the weekend afterwards. Welcome nameless little man. PS: We had 3 fosters lining up fast, so I might see about bringing a #2. Since I have to be back-up for them, I won't bring three! That's too many to possibly get stuck with down the road!

Gotta be realistic about some things :)

And a second dog (non-Californian) will be coming to me soon. If you've been reading my blog for awhile, you'll know I work with Taiwanese dogs as well -through Island Dogz-. Evee, Ren and Helen have been my current Taiwanese fosters to date, but I will have another coming in soon(ish).

This is Promise.

 In her Prime
This dog is actually the reason I started fostering Taiwanese dogs to begin with. I became interested in them first when I found that my TG dogs were being adopted quite quickly, leaving me with a couple of weeks between fosters, and more importantly, leaving me with a REALLY bored Beckett. (He playbowed and tried to play with trees for crying out loud). The main reason I became interested in them, is because they live in group packs similiar to TG dogs, and are well socialized with other canines. This is the skill above any other that is needed here. Or else they could never come to work with me, and 6-7 hours at home seems a little harsh for my foster dogs day in day out. The odd day maybe, but not a usual. 

Anyway, I found that picture and fell in love. I couldn't get her out of my head. She is the closest I've ever come to a picture completely selling me on a dog besides Beckett. I knew she'd eventually have to come here -and before Lemon, I was pretty sure she'd be my foster failure.
This is why I've called her Promise. I think I made a promise to her about a year ago now that I would save her. She's not a young dog anymore -indeed she is 8 now, and been at the shelter for many, many years-, but I'm so very happy to say, that will a lot of bugging, prodding, annoyance and general helpfulness, she will become my next Taiwanese foster dog.

Promise Lately
I'm SO looking forward to finally meet you girl!


Ironically, near the end of the month I will have a second Taiwanese dog here as well, (actually, he might be the first depending on how flights work out) but not with Island Dogz. My old boss is helping start a fostering program with Ocean Dog Rescue. She's my boss, and my friend, so of course I'll help her out as I can. (Just one at a time though please!)

My new goal is to stay TG first, and do Taiwanese dogs. Of course the odd other one will probably creep in, but that's my 'plan'. Anyway, Migo will be my first 'foster' for Ocean Dog Rescue, but he's meant to be really temporary. He's got a home lined up, however, an autistic child is involved, and dog and child need a real meet+greet before signing off. So Migo needed a foster home just in case. Welcome me. I don't count any chickens, so I'm going to air on the side of pessimism and say he'll fail. (Not that I'm pessimistic, but that not thinking that way I could land myself with a foster to take his spot when he's not actually signed, sealed, delivered.)

Migo, who is basically like a bigger Evee!
And today, its cold and drizzly, so we're headed off up island in about an hour to do some hiking, and hopefully be back around 2-3 and sun!! But whose kidding who. The weather doesn't want me to finish my fence!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Emily, (and the bearded Jerrad)

Thanks for the walk yesterday. It seems that perhaps walking with Mr. Bigpants Beckett broke the ice for Miss Bossyboots...well perhaps just a teeny weeny crack...Today we took them for a full-on hour on the Dallas Dog walking path just for those encounters...She improved a bit...to the point that she was sniffing a lot more and actually standing on angle beside larger dogs...Two specific northern looking big old seniors were really good...Sho' nuff they were from northern B.C....the young woman was from Topley and knows Dave/Yvette and the lifesaving TG dance...Their dogs were so chill, Veda (Falala) warmed up to them from the get go. Now that was encouraging! We just got in her face and interupted the drama...she did much better.
Good luck with the little nameless pup coming yr way....also Promise is a lovely dog i look fwd to meeting at some future date....also Migo with that killer smile and exuberant open face should be a fun addition to your fluid pack of furriness. Keep in touch and we will enjoy a lake walk soon.

as ever,
cheryl