Friday, February 10, 2012

Allie and Alvin Getting Ready for Adoption

Well, TG bus run is getting closer and closer. The draft pick mysteriously hasn't changed. I still won't reveal her until she's physically on the bus! I do believe in jinxes.

We had a homecheck today, to be 'pre-approved', but I got the feeling from the application that Alvin was their dog. So, I brought him with me. And, he's their dog :) We're going to have him checked for worms as he's been bum scooting the last day or two, and is known to nibble poo, but otherwise, he's ready to go. And, I have to say, I'm going to miss him :(.

Alvin started his journey here as a dog that had never been denied any attention whatsoever. He probably lived in a purse. He needed to learn that he was capable of being indepedent. That just because I didn't want to be in constant contact with him didn't mean he couldn't exist. Within the month that he's been here, he's become a joy to have around, no longer pushing my buttons and making me pull out my hair. He's learnt how to be a dog and not a toy. Of course he's still a class clown, and entertained his homecheck with his toy-fetching and zoomie skills. He's a complete goofball, but now he's a balanced goofball. He'll get to live a few blocks from a big dog park and has a mom that although wants the small package, strives for balance, training and not treating dogs based on size. "If you wouldn't let your Great Dane do it, don't let your Chihuahua do it." Good stuff, and that's what Alvin needs to continue the path he's been put on. Someone who doesn't treat him like a 6 pound toy.

Alvin with the Permenants

Alvin playing with Lemon of his own accord :)


As per usual, I don't count adoptions in the bag until those papers are signed, so although I contemplated saying "Yvette, send me #2", I know that'll probably just jinx things.

Allie is also heading home on Sunday to her quiet rural house with three confident maltese crosses and single middle-aged woman. Bout time :P Just kidding. She's done well here, although I don't think I'd like to foster an Allie again anytime soon. She's was real 'work'. She still has work to go, but I can't say I'll miss her newest favourite game: HOP ON MOM! I have to zip out of bed early so that she doesn't land on my bladder! She doesn't hold anything back either. I'm like her personal trampoline in the morning!

So it might be a busy weekend, but come Monday, we'll most likely be a smaller crew (# wise anyway, size wise we'll probably have grown :) ).

Emily Out

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Emily,
re: bum scooting.
I always assume it is impacted anal glands vs. more commonly assumed 'worms' when dogs scoot.
An evolutionary backwater and VERY, very common in high bred dogs- especially SMALL dogs - but as common as it is - surprisingly few people seem to know about this or how to remedy the problem.
The anal glands just don't express fluid naturally (to mark territory) It must be expressed manually by a human or it builds up in the glands and can abscess; the dog scoots because the pressure is uncomfortable.
My dogs had a chronic problem with this and just about everyone I know with a small dog has had this problem and thought it -mistakenly- to likely be worms. I finally insisted my vet demonstrate to me how to squeeze the glands myself to get rid of the fluid.
takes less than a minute. Some people let the vet do this... but that is expensive considering how easy (albeit a little icky/unpleasant) it is to do yourself.
note: groomers will do this but my long experience proved that the groomers -I went to- didn't really know how to do it properly.
If you want more info. I can explain more but will leave you with this for now.
Wendy

Anonymous said...

What an adorable threesome!
Alvin is a cute little guy.