Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Dear Murphy, Stop Messing Around

For being on foster #24 and just under a year into fostering, I should really know my boundaries a bit better and know not to go messing with Murphy and his stupid law. But, when a 7 month old's life is on the line, that just doesn't happen.  Dear Murphy: This one was going to die, can't you lay off!

Regardless as much as I'm chicken without a head running around stupidly now, I know it'll work out.

But, its hard to juggle potentially 4 incoming dogs all at once.

We have: Marley, the boy from Devore who was going to be put down. He is coming mid-week instead of this weekend or next weekend, so throwing a bit of a monkey wrench into things. Ironically, its a small rescue world (or, I seem to be a in a lot of the rescue world at once), and through Jeneane, I got in contact with Larissa, who previously fostered Primus for Turtle Gardens, and who works with New Bark. So, she can bring him to the island, and most likely hang onto him for a few days until we can go grab him. Man am I ever glad for my seemingly far and wide connections these days!

Marley has a foster home lined up, but he is my responsbility to back up. So, for now I have to count him mine until things are sorted out. If you count the chickens, shit hits the fan. Expect the worse, and you suddenly have an easier time of things. So, until those first few days of being fostered are over with, I'm not in the clear. I'd say he's seven months and shouldn't have a problem, but if I really start relying on that thought, something is bound to happen.
Marley, Saved from Devore, CA

The next two are TUAPAS. I had agreed I would foster A-Lang if Molly/Jasmine (Promise) could come into foster care. Tuapa has REALLY been wanting to send A-Lang abroad, but being an older guy, he hasn't had the opportunity. I didn't quite realize they meant for me to foster them together -I had thought send me A-Lang first as as reward I'd get to foster Promise. Or vice-versa in order. Oops, miscommunication. They will come in the next couple of weeks providing their passenger is a go. They are both middle-aged/older dogs and both 'easy', but they are two warm fuzzy bodies coming in together. We're looking into getting another foster home for A-Lang, because we know if we get that one, it'll make things a lot easier.

Handsome 50 pound, 8 year old A-Lang

My older girl Promise
The fourth dog is Migo who is coming into to temporary foster-care with me from Ocean Dog Rescue at the end of the month. He will meet his autistic brother to see if they're a good match. But, I think Murphy is going to mess this one up, and turn him into a full foster. That's what my gut is telling me anyway. Anyhoots, he is definitely coming and I'm looking forward to having him.


Yep, and that's how it all comes down at once. I'm sure things will work out so that I only need to foster 2/4 dogs, as I think Jerrad just might beat me if I take all four in within a week or two of each other. But Migo is a definite, and I definitely have to be Marley's back up. If that delays the trip of the TUAPAS, I suppose that is what needs to happen.

Why is it, if I commit to three dogs in three months, suddenly they all need to come within a two week period of each other? Memo to self: only commit to one specific dog at a time!

Oh, and in some non-crazy news, Brojack, who came down with Chowmein and is being fostered by Meshum has a homecheck with his most likely new dad on Thursday. Peter has been 'courting' Brojack, coming and taking him for walks while Meshum is at daycare, and he always brings a new present for him. He takes Brojack out for swims, and has shown him off to all his staff (Peter owns the restaurant right beside the dog daycare). Providing everything is a go, Brojack will get his forever human, and Meshum and I will be spoiled rotten and get to see him a lot!

Seriously, you can wait your whole life and never come across a dog like Brojack. He is pretty much a 'perfect' dog. A real gentle, loving guy -much like Peter, his potential dad ;)

Will keep you updated. :)

Emily Out

2 comments:

Julia S said...

Love the blog! Sounds like you're very busy! :D

I also really like the side bar with the adoption photo and link, I think I will add that to my page too! It's a great idea! Hope you don't mind :)

Emily said...

I like to be busy :) With two pups and Scotty, you might like to be even busier it seems! Steal the adoption thing all you like. I stole it from Lisa to begin with :P Really, I'm just a Lisa Groupie -who blabs a lot more.